Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IOM death toll this year

wizard993

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-36505271

Everyone who pulls on a helmet and rides a motorbike/sidecar to compete in the TT is to be revered and respected.

Anyone who does not made it back should be saluted. They knew the risk but yet they embraced and challenged risk, with sheer guts, a steely determination and a relentless motivation that few men could ever match.

Yes we know why they do it....and that's why the TT should never be stopped.

:worship:

Wizard post which I agree with 1000% - well done!

As a former road racer (in my youth) and a risk taker myself - the experiences were always worth the risk - just never managed to race in the TT (although my bikes and engines had wins there in solo and sidecar events) although I did manage the 250cc qualifying time way back in 1966 on my production racing Yamaha YDS3 on "mad Sunday".

Not sure if I didn't manage to race there because I knew I wasn't good enough - couldn't afford it then - or was just too scared (probably the latter).

Respect to all who competed there whatever the consequences.

Baz

The TT circuit is awesome, beautiful, fast, dangerous, unforgiving and frightening. It is an event from a bygone age of man-machine versus the course that manages to flourish in a generally risk-adverse modern age.

It takes a certain type of racer to compete there, so my total unreserved respect for those who take on the challenge.

My condolences to the families and friends of those who have passed away during this year's event.

:salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut:

Been watching a couple of youtube vids this week that really hit home on the speed and danger.

Can't watch too much of the bike stuff without it turning my stomach. Been loving the Mark Higgins 600 BHP Subaru whizz round the track. Averaging around 130 and 170 on some parts. Absolute skill and madness from all who dare do it.

Hopefully get home to watch the Ulster Grand Prix in August - mesmerizing! Of which, if you've got a spare quarter of an hour, why not watch Michael Dunlop absolutely nailing the TT course a week ago. The section through Kirkmichael at 6 mins 15 secs is phenomenal:

I raced on the TT course in the Manx GP in 1997, I started bike racing in the first place because the TT course was on my bucket list, and I got to do 14 laps under closed roads with nothing coming the other way.

As good as that was, it also proved to me that I am not as brave as I thought I was. For some reason the left handers on the mountain, with just a wire fence between me and the sky, were scarier than the corners lined with walls and lampposts. I pussyfooted around doing 90mph or so laps, so anyone who can lap at 130+ mph has my utmost respect. I never went back, or really wanted to, and later quit racing while lying in a hospital bed, deciding I'd get out while I could still walk without a limp, unlike several riders I knew.

I think 3 riders died in practice sessions I rode in at that Manx, one on the mountain at the Les Graham Memorial - I remember seeing a race bike behind a fence, in a field way up above the course, wondering how on earth it had got there, then noticing a huddle of marshalls around something in the layby, presumably where the unfortunate rider had ended up.

Since the TT was taken off the GP calender, anyone who races there does it because they want to, and knows and accepts the risks.

Its stunning to watch. The commitment and skil un equalled in motorsport IMHO.

most all of them are addicted to it. I saw that clser to the edge film a couple of years ago and it confirmed to me it was a drug for the top guys. Adrenalin, speed, respect, glory.

If you are into your bikes and have not visited the TT, it should be on your bucket list.

When I first saw the races back in the mid 80's just thought it was so fast. But now they are getting so quick, it's hard to comprehend the commitment need to do this event.

Hats off to all the competitors. :thumb:

Not remotely in to bikes, but massive respect to these guys. Balls of steel doesn't really do it justice. I hope it doesn't get banned. Nobody is forced to do it and everybody knows the risks.

MC

These guys and girls are the bravest people I have ever seen. To go from a standing start, with cold tyres/breaks and a full tank of fuel and put in an average lap speed in excess of 133mph round a course with 230 corners is just mind blowing. Yes these people know the dangers and I lost a friend from school this week - Paul Shoesmith - but it his his wife and especially his four kids I feel terribly sorry for. Indeed my sincere condolences to all the families of those who died this week.

RIP Shoey

I liked Guy Martin before I realised what a bloody good road racer he is, then after watching 'closer to the edge' which I have done several times when there's been naff all else on, my respect for him went off the scale.
As everyone says they are all mad for doing it, it's just so sad to see the people they love willing them to stop but wanting them to full fill their dream.
Amazing spectacle to watch up close which I had the good fortune to see in 1996.

Agree it's not a forced upon sport, contenders are there by their own merits, steam & choice. There's always going to be contention when riders put the Tourist Trophy before their families they could potentially be leaving forever.

The speeds they achieve with pretty much zero room if it goes wrong compared to short circuit racing weighs in the balance of brilliance and madness. It's not like they get rich from achieving it & risking their lives. Maybe having your name on history is the prize.

Thoughts and caps off in respect to the families & love ones who won't be whole after the fortnight & hope they find comfort and peace, lost to the sport but never forgotten in the memories.

Ken White said:
If you are into your bikes and have not visited the TT, it should be on your bucket list.

When I first saw the races back in the mid 80's just thought it was so fast. But now they are getting so quick, it's hard to comprehend the commitment need to do this event.

Hats off to all the competitors. :thumb:

:agree:

Couldn't agree more. Managed to get there 5 years in a row including the Centenary in 2007. Addictive as a spectator so can't even start to imagine how the competitors feel.

Couldn't make the TT in 2008 so went to the Manx GP instead - another cracking event. Sadly was taken out big time heading up over the mountain by another biker! Haven't managed to get back since but I will. :thumb:

PS. Highlights of this year's Senior TT are just starting on ITV 4..........

Watching it now...

MC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back