Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Any ideas what this is...?

Steve Gom

Just retrieved this from the o/s of the engine bay. It was loose and not connected at either end. Can't see where it could have been plumbed in to.

Car is running fine. Debris picked up off the road maybe? Any ideas?

Cheers,
Steve

Attachments

• image_456.jpeg
    image_456.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 6,846
If it was the n/s I would of said the coolant overflow pipe.

Well .. if it was the nearside i would guess at coolant bottle overflow drain pipe .. cant think of anything off side though .. it looks like a vacumn pipe but a little large for that .. top left looks like it has been ripped off so if fitted to your car there should be another bit still connected.

Stumped im afraid .. but something thats come off the road and ended up in your engine ? .. unusual to say the least.

Edit .. damit it .. i swear my internet connection is slow .. i posted first .. honest i did !

Or perhaps im just a very slow typer lol

Can't be fuel lines, that rules that out. Can't be brake fluid so that rules that out. Too narrow for coolant, plus your temperature would of rocketed, so rule that out. Not oil either. Just leaves washer pipe for your screens (maybe)? Other than that I'd of said some type of expansion overflow pipe or breather pipe as there's no indentation on the other end which would support the theory it's a connection pipe where it's been in a clamp such like a jubilee clip or spring clip to hold it onto a part in the engine bay.

Might be worth a quick phone call to a garage to put it on the ramps for peace of mind. :thumb:

The nice trimmed end seems to indicate a vent/overflow pipe of some sort and it seems to have a contact mark, possibly grommit rub mark on the last bend :dont know:

I once found a 19mm combination spanner under the bonnet of my Vauxhall Frontera many years ago, no idea where it came from :grin:

Secondary air pump line?? Small boost hose?

steve r said:
any number markings on it at all?
No numbers on it.
I've been trawling the net for engine bay pics and picture heavy engine removal threads to see if I can spot anything similar but nothing conclusive yet. It's a bloody mystery. :dont know:

Double post

It is the vent from the PAS pump reservoir. Here is a picture of what it look like when fitted:

ELA said:
It is the vent from the PAS pump reservoir. Here is a picture of what it look like when fitted:

Thanks ELA- that was the location for my loose pipe.
Now, having removed the pipe clamp from the nipple on the reservoir, I can't get the freshly cut pipe back into the clamp so now considering a 10mm jubilee clip unless there's a knack to refitting the tiny OE clamp someone can share? Tried washing up liquid and brute force but no joy.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back