Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 tiptronic

as360

Hi,

Are these units reliable?

I assume most people would prefer a manual box, so they a tip might be difficult to resale at a later date?

Appreciate any comments.

I would say that a tip box is at least as reliable as the manual and possibly more so.

Reliable boxes and choice very much down to personal preference.

There is an easy and inexpensive flappy paddle conversion available which definitely makes the tip box feel more modern, sporty and driver friendly. It is not as quick to change as the later Porsche pdk boxes with the factory fitted sport option flappy paddles, but it is not all that far off and for many it does transform the driving experience.

There are 2 types of tip box in the 996 but neither are unreliable.
The 3.4 996 has a ZF tip box whilst the 3.6 has a Mercedes tip box.

I believe the standard tip. Box can handle more power over the standard manual box before requiring upgrade

Have had the oil & filter changed, but understand the (Merc) Tip Box is pretty Bomb Proof?

vlad said:
I believe the standard tip. Box can handle more power over the standard manual box before requiring upgrade
I understand this is true of the Mercedes box (as used in the 3.6 carrera and turbo 996) but I have not heard it about the earlier ZF box.

And of course while its more engine related - its a lot less likely to have sustained over revs. with a tip. box

I think what you mean Simon is don't tune it too much if it's a turbo. Stock tip tip box is okay up to around 650bhp ish. For most this is the sensible limit anyway.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back