Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 first drive

weejimmy

Spa-Francorchamps
Borrowed my dealers C4 convertible today whilst my C4S is being serviced. Hugely underwhelmed with the noise. Is that it? PSE on, roof down, windows down and ... silence (relatively speaking). Total anticlimax. I cant help thinking the mags have played down the loss of character with the swap to Turbos. At one point all I could hear was whistle with a bit of boom. I felt like I was driving a transit van! The push is nice, but it doesn't make up for the loss of warmth and character. It also did some weird whoosing that sounded like air being dumped. Not a nice thing to list to after a 3.8!

I was also surprised at how much of the new PCM screen acreage is actually just bezel. PCM seems nice enough though and I like having both stereo controls and proper paddles on the wheel, but the paddles themselves seem to now have rounded shoulders which don't fit my fingers as well.

I expected to want one. My actual response was "Meh"... took a mate out who has a Jag F-Type R (he already thinks my C4s sounds a bit lame after his fire breathing monster). We just sat there looking bemused at the near silence even with everything turned up to max. Odd.

The Jag F-Types are mighty loud!

As always, depends what personal preferences are. When I had the RS6, there were those that wanted stealth, those that wanted roar (I preferred roar at the time). Those that had RS6 livery all over, those that debadged it and put 2.0 Tdi badges on to fool those that had no clue.

When I drove the mere Carerra, was worried about it being too loud, as personally I'm after a more understated stealth, from the cars I've had, was spot on for what i was after.

I'm sure you'll love it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not after mad noise levels (too old and grey for that), but I adore the way my 991.1 talks to me. The throttle response is instant and it has a lovely warmth to the tone. It's like being hugged!

I couldn't hear any of that with the 991.2 - but I think its as much about being so tuned into my own car. If you drop straight on a 991.2 you'll adore it.

991.2 quiet. Surprised at that as the one I drove with PSE and in Sports+ sounded glorious :what: The 'response' button is a revelation :grin:

My take on the 991.2 is that it is a stunningly complete and competent package, but has lost some of the 991.1's soul. :dont know:

I agree. It is a stunningly effective machine, but a little bland in how it goes about it especially in terms of the noises it makes. I expected (and was ready) to be impressed. Maybe the 'S' expresses itself (ahem) a bit more?

The new PCM also felt a bit low rent to me. Not in terms of the way it works, more the way its integrated physically. I kept thinking "Why doesn't the screen go to the edge?) and the buttons no longer match those on the center console as they have lost their aluminium lips. They look a bit 'Blaupunkt' now - functional and no more and dont seem to match the rest of the cockpit so well. Like they have been designed to fit in all models across the range...

If you didn't know the 991.1 so well I think you wouldn't spot any of the above and there is no doubting the bottom end shove is much improved. If that's what you want!

Having read all about the lack of engine noise on the 991.2 I went to Porche Hatfield to listen toa C4S. I had the 991.1 cabrio and when I first drove the coupe was surprised at how quiet it was. They stared it up and I stood outside and listened to it both without and with the PSE on. I have to say that the PSE sounded fantastic with lots of crackling. Not sure what all the fuss is about?

Not sure I'd describe if as 'fuss' - just disappointment.

Sure it makes 'noise', but the C4 Convertible I had didn't make particularly nice ones. Sure, it sounded fab on startup, but that was the high point. A lot of the time it was non existent even with PSE on, no lovely baratone burble. Just some whistling and whooshing.

In my C4s I can just tikcle the throttle and then lightly roll off the power enjoying the subtle changes in tone. In comparison I found the 991.2 to be quite digital in its response and I've been enjoying analog long enough to spot what's gone missing!

Yes it makes noises and pops and bangs, do I want to listen to it? Not really. I could have been sat in any relatively powerful turbo charged car. The pops also seemed to be fractionally late Vs mine making it feel synthesized.

I expected to love it, but the subtly, nuances and warmth of the 991.1 were missing. Maybe it was that specific car.

:dont know:

Regardless, I'd say the chances of Porsche keeping my custom has gone down considerably.

I know what you mean... I had the first generation of RS6 and that 4.2l V8 Cosworth engine was epic, the noises it made were to die for... add a decat milltek exhaust and it was incredible. The 2nd and 3rd generation engines since just didn't cut the mustard.

As you say, it depends what your starting point and expectation is... I drove an Aston Martin after owning the RS6 for 3 years and it felt so incredibly slow it was an enormous disappointment and put me off buying one. Nothing I drove compared to the RS6 at the time and i couldn't bring myself to drive a 911 as i knew I'd crave after a turbo.

The mini-turbo of the 991.2 and the new world of environment in my co2 restrictions for company car brought me to the Carrera... is funny how times and cars change.

Purely thinking about you for a date in the indeterminate future should you ever wish... ;)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steamy
Back