Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

No smoke without a fire? Blue smoke on the overrun

Lungauer

Whilst stopped at traffic lights the other day a friendly motorcyclist leant over and complimented the car, but then told me it was smoking. Over the weekend I followed my wife while she drove it and indeed there were puffs of blue smoke, particularly when decelerating.

Seemed OK at idle and when accelerating. Can't be sure what happens on start up but haven't noticed anything alarming, in any case these flat 6s often puff a little blue smoke if they've been left for a bit.

Is this a sign of an expensive engine re-build, or as suggested by a fellow 964 owner possibly a blocked oil breather? Hoping the latter and she feels as lively as ever, but at 85k miles and no refresh one never knows. She's only just had a major service at Tuthill's and they said she was fine...

Thanks

If its just been serviced, I would look into the possibility the oil may have been overfilled.

Blue smoke could be a sign of a tired engine. Monitor the oil consumption over a period and see what the car uses. No need to panic or assume the worst, the car will run just fine even using oil either through leaks or burning.

Thanks both. I rang Tuthills and described the symptoms and they suggested over filling or a blocked breather. If it has been overfilled it was done on the service because I've not topped it up since (it doesn't do many miles at all).

I'll check that first and then monitor oil consumption.

Update. Finally this weekend found time to get it properly warm and check the level with the dipstick to find it has indeed been over filled. A bit disappointing really, not only because it should not have happened in the first place, but also because I live a long way from Tuthill so will have to rectify it myself.

A couple of questions please:

Will it have caused any damage?
Is it a relatively straightforward process to drain some oil out?

No harm no foul....
Every one has had an overfil in their ownership.
I run mine at half way when hot (on the guage).
I would expect a garage to fill her to the brim as per Mr Porsches instruction...
Either drain a bit off from the tank (which is tricky and messy) or let it burn off if it's only a tad over :thumb:

Thanks Chief. Good to know that no damage will ensue. Will teach me not necessarily to trust the service mechanic to have got it right.

I've ordered a syphon pump from Amazon and will have a go at getting the excess out of the oil tank. Presumably done when hot - engine running?

wizard993 said:
Lungauer said:
Thanks Chief. Good to know that no damage will ensue. Will teach me not necessarily to trust the service mechanic to have got it right.

I've ordered a syphon pump from Amazon and will have a go at getting the excess out of the oil tank. Presumably done when hot - engine running?

You should be able to get enough out of it by drawing off a litre or so on a cold engine via the secondary drain plug underneath, on the engine.

Once done warm it up and check the level. If not enough then leave until cold then drain off another litre or so, check when hot then top up as needed.....wear gloves.

You can buy a cheap oil collector from halfords or use a old can before carefully disposing of any oil.

:thumb:

wizard993 said:
wizard993 said:
Lungauer said:

You should be able to get enough out of it by drawing off a litre or so on a cold engine via the secondary drain plug underneath, on the engine.

Once done warm it up and check the level. If not enough then leave until cold then drain off another litre or so, check when hot then top up as needed.....wear gloves.

You can buy a cheap oil collector from halfords or use a old can before carefully disposing of any oil.

:thumb:

Thanks Wizard. So that's not through the oil filler then? Sorry - bit of a dunce about this sort of thing, but could you give me directions to the secondary drain plug!

I would just drain a bit out from the drain plug on the thermostat.

Easy to access. (under the sill just in front of the offside rear wheel.)

Thank you for the kind advice. In the end Tuthills sent a technician some 130 miles to attend to the car at my home, draining out about 1/2 litre of oil apparently (I wsn't there so am relying on technical information imparted by Mrs Lungauer...).

Hopefully this will sort the problem.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back