Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gull wing doors?

cbr6dc

Montreal
I've seen this and it is a really curious mod!

This one http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt715...97-05/996-C2-3-4L-1997-08-01/Gull-Wing-Doors/ from Design911.

Is it purely attach to the roof and hinge on that opening outwards or is it there the door pulls towards you (using the same fittings as normal doors) and it then lifts up as they are Lambo style doors? I'm assuming that Lambos are the same....

I'm curious. I have real problems getting in and out of the car as the door needs to be opened a lot!

cbr6dc said:
I have real problems getting in and out of the car as the door needs to be opened a lot!

Lose some weight then, it's cheaper than looking a knob with gull wing doors
on a 996.

Always a problem getting enough space to fully open coupe doors as they are longer pretty sure your not alone thinking that, unless your a pencil neck it's always tight. :thumb: but I think gull wings just are not right on a 911, but it's your car and your cash so if it floats your boat :thumb: :bandit:

They aren't gull wing doors (which hinge from the roof), they are faux-scissor doors which open slightly to the side and then pivot up and forward around the front edge of the door (looking a little bit like the classic Lamborghini door, but they aren't the same thing).

Personally I think that they are a clumsily compromised mod that has become synonymous with chaved up hatchbacks and am thus not a fan. Your mileage may vary of course - there must be people out there somewhere who like them or there wouldn't be a market for them. They will of course reduce the value of your car and may add to Insurance costs too.

Not a mod I'd do but your car your rules. I also do not know anything about the praticle pros and cons. I've seen a couple of cars for sale over the years with this mod so clearly there is a market.

What ever floats your boat , really wouldnt be my thing , but each to there own,

I have seen this on a Boxster as you say Lamborghini style where hinge lifts door out then up. In this case the owner had a false leg and needed the extra opening space to ease getting in and out.
Personally not a fan always wonder on effect on seals etc

Your choice but IMHO won't look 'right' if you're not a guest star in an episode of Miami Vice, add Testarossa style wings and retrim the interior in white :dont know:

But your car and your choice :thumbs:

I'm curious as Lamborghini's look so great the way it is done. As you say it does appear a mod for a certain sort of people.

The main reason I guess is space in my garage. I can allow 2" on left side, then I have about 10" on the right to open the door and get out lol. I've seen how much I need to open it and going to a normal car park is a no-no lol.

cbr6dc said:
I'm curious as Lamborghini's look so great the way it is done. As you say it does appear a mod for a certain sort of people.

The main reason I guess is space in my garage. I can allow 2" on left side, then I have about 10" on the right to open the door and get out lol. I've seen how much I need to open it and going to a normal car park is a no-no lol.

You would have to be careful you would have the height as well then in you're garage.

HERE'S ONE, Looks better on a cab but still not for me :nooo:

Attachments

• images_205.jpg
    images_205.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 4,709
That looks pretty immense!

I'm not sure if it's the body kit or the doors doing it for me!? Lol

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member