Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Michelin PS or Yoko AD08R?

Lungauer

Sorry to bring up tyres again, and I've spent time searching without being able to reach a conclusion, but which of the above would be the collective's recommendation for my C2 on 17" Fuchs (9J rear & 7J front)? I'd go for Pilot Super Sports but as far as I can see they don't do them for 17s.

The car's on Contis at the moment, but they could do with replacing and from what I read they've been left behind by other makes.

Thanks

What ever you do try not to use conti's for the reason you stated,
MICHELIN are great tyres and if you can't get Pilot super sports in your size have a look at pilot sport 4 or even the 3 and 2 are older but still better than the conti's IMO :thumb: :grin:

Yoko is better on track ( but not a track dedicated tyre) . Michelin better on Rd.

Both are good tyres.

Always found the sidewalls soft on Yokos... Michelins every time for me..

What are you looking for from your tyres?

I've recently fitted the AD08R's to a 993 and a 964, actually the 993 had new PS2's but customer wanted something extra for a Euro 'hoon'.

They seem to be very good for spirited driving, wearing nicely even after being pushed. PS2's would definitely show more abuse. And the Yokos are cheaper by a fraction. Longevity I cant comment on yet.

For over all use I'd still go PS2, nice soft sidewall soaks up bumps reducing wear and tyre on the car too and makes tyre changes very easy.

If more spirited/track use then possibly the Yoko's are the way to go.

Fitting PS4's for the first time this week on a 1998 Z3M, looking forward to the feedback. Not sure when they'll do 911 sizes.

To above. ADO8Rs are a softer compound and as of such wear quicker than Michelins. But that cost is rewarded in extra grip in the dry.

The Michelin really is the best all rounder period. But the ADO8R is more rewarding in the right environment with the right driver.

With everything comes a compromise.

i have ps4 on currently, excellent tyre - very pleased (i have mpss on another car, they are very similar on the road). both much better than sc5 and sc6 (i have used both), michelins have slightly less grip but better wear and much better 'feel' at the limits of grip (imho)

robertpaulson said:
i have ps4 on currently, excellent tyre - very pleased (i have mpss on another car, they are very similar on the road). both much better than sc5 and sc6 (i have used both), michelins have slightly less grip but better wear and much better 'feel' at the limits of grip (imho)

I assume the PS4 is not yet N rated?!

Love the ad08s that Chris just fitted for me! Had ps2s on previous 993, great too, can't go wrong really. Both have massively less road noise than the conti sport contacts that just came off the 964

Thanks all for the replies and useful observations.

The car only goes out in the dry (if I can help it) and then gets pretty well ragged round the B roads. It's got PSS10s and RS +5mm and I look for as much grip as possible. Given the mileage (or lack of it) I don't think wear is too much of a problem. The current Contis came with the car and, despite plenty of tread, must be at least 7 years old - compound well past its sell by.

Given the above and peoples comments, I think perhaps I'll give the AD08Rs a try. Not N rated, but I don't think Porsche are watching anymore. There certainly doesn't seem to be as much choice in performance tyres for 17".

Seems Porsche and/or Michelin are VERY VERY VERY slow to N-rate new tyres. MPSS not. MPS4 not... well not for 997 Turbo anyway... :-(

Pull your finger out Michelin!!

996ttalot said:
Whilst it doesn't help because of 17s, if you went 18s you can get cup2 which are about the best tyre for the 964. Lots of our 964 customers have moved to 18s specifically for this reason as it opens up ps2, cup2 etc.

There does seem to be a dearth of choice for 17s, but I prefer the proportions on the car and surely they offer lighter unsprung weight?

Lungauer said:
996ttalot said:
Whilst it doesn't help because of 17s, if you went 18s you can get cup2 which are about the best tyre for the 964. Lots of our 964 customers have moved to 18s specifically for this reason as it opens up ps2, cup2 etc.

There does seem to be a dearth of choice for 17s, but I prefer the proportions on the car and surely they offer lighter unsprung weight?
That is true if they are original wheels - a lot of the 17s I see are not original and are heavy. You can get 18s in fuch - I have a set in the shop. Obviously geo needs doing it.

It is such a shame that there is such a restrictive choice.

996ttalot said:
Lungauer said:
996ttalot said:

That is true if they are original wheels - a lot of the 17s I see are not original and are heavy. You can get 18s in fuch - I have a set in the shop. Obviously geo needs doing it.

It is such a shame that there is such a restrictive choice.

Interesting stuff 996ttalot, thanks. The 17" Fuchsfelge are 7.95kg & 7.5kg respectively - how does that compare?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back