Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake Issue / warped disc

Stitcher

So just bought my first Porsche C4S which I collected last month from OPC Glasgow . Had it for 3 days before I had to go back offshore for 2 weeks but the night before I left it was snowing but I garaged the car and thought nothing of it . Returned home this week and the brakes had stuck to the disks , nothing unusual there , has happened with both my previous cars , Audi RS5 and RS7 . The brakes freed off with very little effort but were initially noisy with the rust built up but now I seem to have a real problem . On feathering the brakes from 60-70 mph I'm getting feedback through the pedal that I'm driving over cats eyes , feels like a warped disc ? I've driven 150 miles now and it's not improving , thought it may be pad residue but usually this disappears under heavy braking . I discussed with OPC Glasgow and they said it sounded like a warped disc but it wouldn't be covered under warranty , I've only had 3 days driving use of the car and it may need a replacement disc , not a good start , car only has 6k on the clock . Anyone with any similair experience or advice ?

Stitcher said:
So just bought my first Porsche C4S which I collected last month from OPC Glasgow . Had it for 3 days before I had to go back offshore for 2 weeks but the night before I left it was snowing but I garaged the car and thought nothing of it . Returned home this week and the brakes had stuck to the disks , nothing unusual there , has happened with both my previous cars , Audi RS5 and RS7 . The brakes freed off with very little effort but were initially noisy with the rust built up but now I seem to have a real problem . On feathering the brakes from 60-70 mph I'm getting feedback through the pedal that I'm driving over cats eyes , feels like a warped disc ? I've driven 150 miles now and it's not improving , thought it may be pad residue but usually this disappears under heavy braking . I discussed with OPC Glasgow and they said it sounded like a warped disc but it wouldn't be covered under warranty , I've only had 3 days driving use of the car and it may need a replacement disc , not a good start , car only has 6k on the clock . Anyone with any similair experience or advice ?

Hi,
I had similar problem on a 2012 model 991, On mine the warped disc was caused by a problem with a little brass bush at foot pedal which expands when car cabin is warm (i.e. heater on full blast or just hot weather) the brass bush expands and apples the brakes whilst driving and warps the discs.
This is a common problem, the bush needs a modification, have had this on two of my previous 991's the first one just needed the bush replacing my latest one had to have disc and pads all round, discs were covered by OPC had to make a contribution to new pads all round

hope that helps!

Porsche brake discs are a little on the soft side , if the pads are damp they will rust to the disc when left to sit.

This leaves a deposit on the disc surface which will cause judder , it can be fixed either with new discs or a laith cut of the discs , OPC can normally do this.

A lot of owners after washing their cars will give it a short drive just to make sure the discs are dry before putting it in the garage as they can rust over night to some degree.

Thanks for the replies guys , the thermal expansion of the bush is an interesting one that I'll mention when I go back to my local dealership tomorrow . The problems all started after putting the car in the garage and going away for 2 weeks so I'm thinking it could indeed be the residue build up rather than warping but is there any way of telling which wheel it is , all the discs look fine visually ! I'm gutted that this could happened just from garaging a car with wet brakes , expensive lesson there but hopeful that considering the car was only 3 days old that Porsche help me out a bit !

The garage can do a disc run out check to find high spots ..

Basic rule of thumb if the steering wheel shakes and pedal pulses its front , if just pedal then its rears.

Not a porsche but it shows what a run out check is ..

http://www.bernardembden.com/xjs/hub/dialindi.JPG

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back