Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

300K Done.

poppopbangbang

Nurburgring
300,000 Miles. No problems, no worries, no dramas.

Had to pop to Magney Course today to drop some bits off and fire up one of Schumachers old Benettons. Just shy of a thousand miles there and back, as always the 996 did it with ease but this time it ticked over 300K whilst doing it.

And killed a lot of flies:

Like A LOT of flies:

Total mileage and trip mileage:

Averaged 23.8MPG and a moving average of 92MPH. Ambients on this trip were a bit on the s**t side on the way back up as I started out earlier than usual and it was a hot day, the car is happiest in 10 DegC to low 20's DegC temps and it was 27 leaving Magney!

It's a developed car now as you'd expect from this mileage so things like cooling, oil control, the strength of the corners etc. are well sorted but it's still for the most part standard with bolt ons. The engine has never been apart, the most it's had is rocker covers off to change a few easily accesible bits of the variocam system 15K miles ago or so. IMS is the original dual row unit that's been in there since day one, it's had two clutches and two main seals, the flywheel is even original! There really isn't anything that's been replaced due to failure aside from a front diff early in the cars life and prior to my ownership. The brakes continue to be epic in all situations and cost about 12 pence to look after as it's all just standard boggo spec parts from other Porsche, the suspension setup with the new valving in the Ohlins and spring rates is pretty much the perfect compromise for a car which has to do this sort of mileage but still be able to put a lap time in and even though it's a bit dog eared around the edges I think it still looks pretty good too!

I think the reason it has lasted this well is two fold, one it was obviously a "good one" to begin with where the tolerances for various things stacked up the right way. Two it's use isn't really that similar to any other M96 Carrera as whilst a few may do road trips they aren't doing three or four thousand miles a month like this one is and not racking up that mileage pretty much constantly between 4000 and 5000RPM. At these revs the engine has bags of oil pressure, good coolant flow, lots of air flow through the rads etc. etc. it's pretty much the sweet spot for it to live in and as this car has no air-con or similar as well as more oil capacity, lower overall coolant system temps etc. than a standard car I think it all adds up to it surviving better than others.

It still has a few issues, low speed on a hot day and in dirty air when the coolant is already well up to temp it will hit 94 degrees (like in the Paris tunnels or example) but there isn't really much that can be done about that aside from going OTT on rad fans and I still lose a splitter every 6 months or so but nothings perfect :grin:

Next stop 400K :D

A true testament to Porsche reliability. Can't imagine many Ferrari's or Lambo's hitting 300k Mi.

What a magnificent achievement ppbb and a great write up. Thanks for taking the time sharing this with us :thumb:

they love to be used, left in garage they break down and weaken, What a great post :thumb:

Great to hear it achieved 300k and hope it goes on and on :)

Long may it continue - great write up! Here's to the next 100k :thumbs:

Endex said:
Long may it continue - great write up! Here's to the next 300k :thumbs:

:grin:

Great news. Makes me feel better about my new 80k miles one that will be doing 500 miles a week as a daily driver.

scutler said:
Anymore high mile ones knocking around.....?

Next closest on the ims data collection is silvercat - 154k (08/15), Markf1 - 139k (04/15) and then a few round the 120k mark dated from last year.

I'm currently on a low mileage 105k :D

stevepen said:
Great news. Makes me feel better about my new 80k miles one that will be doing 500 miles a week as a daily driver.

As the factory Intended :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back