Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

handbreaklever and shelf heating up...

cramorra

Hi chaps am in middle Italy with my 91 964 targa
First long distance driv i.e ieo three hours in car
Drives beautifully fast stable and did about 140 leptons on autobahn
Only slight worry I have is that the handbreaklever and area around it heats up so it is almost too uncomfortable to touch?
No smoke nothing to see under car (flat underground)
To my understanding gearbox is further back in the car or could it be centre diff as is a C4?
Any help appreciated main thought is it it to drive home or do I need t find sombody in italy?
As sa drives fine
Cheers

Sorry, I don't know much about the C4.....
It wouldn't surprise me that the trans tunnel gets hot on a long spirited few hours drive.
I'm sure someone will be along who is a bit more familiar with the 4.
Enjoy you trip!

If it genuinely getting too hot handle (uncomfortable), I would be cautious.

The oil pipework to the front oil cooler rad is down the side of the chassis (and low), so my money would be on the centre diff or even the gearbox oil - although the latter would be likely associated with more noise and other symptoms.

I'd get the fluid levels checked (and its colour/cleanliness) as a first port of call.

thanks

Engine oil fine (consumption about .3 litres so far) which I think normal
Gear Box and centre diff oil not sure sure to check and if I ll find a garage in orvieto next bigger town on route would be san remo in ca 650 km plan for tomorrow
Today only 40 km s or so... around lake bolsena
The heat is merely around handbrake and lever but really warm (you can feel heat on your arm if you rest it on gearlever so in 10 cm distance) I can touch it and leave my hand there but I I warm 50/60 :?:
Moving backwards t rear seat/ gearbox it is cooler and also around gearlever?
Could it be heat exchangers??? Or completely wrong?
Thanks for tips keep em coming
Had service last year and check top up for mot this april
Wanted to service after return as had only done 3 k since last

There is nothing under the handbrake that gets hot, heat exchangers are much further back. Its simply a tunnel under there with a torque tube, fuel lines, Gear selector shaft, handbrake and accelerator cables. Could it be radiated heat from the rear window or open sunroof?

Thanks That's helpful
Radiation unlikely to to happened also in night
Gearbox behaves well no untoward noise

You sure its your gear stick you have hold off :?:

kp964 said:
You sure its your gear stick you have hold off :?:
:hand:
I wish it would end up 80 cm in front of me, always hard as steel and throbbing when you rev up... sadly the Porsche crest gives it away it is the gearstick... :dont know:

Now , driving a shor distance today; it Heats up quickly (almost too quick for it to be gearbox or similar) and it seems to be that hot air causing it -blowing past th handbreaklever through the gap in the shelf... as only the plastic heats up not the floor or carpet or so I wonder if it could be air from the exhaust or manifold (no leak smells ok)- could I have lost a heat shield or so??
I think the plastic nearly absorbs the hot air...

What happens if you start up from cold and just let it tick over to normal operating temperature , i wouldn't think heat from the exhaust would get that far especially when on the move , unless you are driving backwards that is.
I would get it up on a ramp at the next town you hit, its a 10 minute job to take the central cover off and have look just for peace of mind , ive never heard of this before or experienced it.

It actually cools down quickly when you stop (but then no hot air blowing out as well) - when I stands also ok
Was looking I th small villages today - orvieto, bolsena montefiascone gone are all the small garages not even a fiat servicio... no classic car dealer also so grosseto or genoa I think unless I find something on the aurelia...

I found this info , it could be this
I actually don't know much about your handbrake question but I will offer this: I thought I had a similar problem, I swore there was hot air coming off the handbrake area and maybe also the console on the passengers side. It was especially true when the top was down. It turned out that the paper heater hose in the passengers footwell was cracked and leaking hot air. Even when the heat was off hot air leaked into the cabin. With the top down the air and heat swirled and felt like it was coming off the center console and the handbrack/shifter area.

It was a $14 part and 10 minutes to change myself. This is a fairly common problem as the cars get 10 years + old. Might be worth pealing back the carpet on the outboard side of the passengers footwell to see if the paper hose is cracked at all.

There's probably only a 20% chance this is your problem, but if it is, it's cheap and easy to fix.

Here's your explanation and fix: If you remove the storage bin or cassette holder (depending on what you have) in the center console, you will find a rubber flap that covers the access point for the upper two transmission tube bolts. If this rubber cover comes off or loose for some reason, you will get hot air blowing from the handbrake area. You just need to pop it back in place, and your problem will be solved. The pic below shows the hole after the cassette bin is removed and the rubber cover is removed.

I think the covers part number is 964 504 465 02.

Keith

kp964 said:
I found this info , it could be this
I actually don't know much about your handbrake question but I will offer this: I thought I had a similar problem, I swore there was hot air coming off the handbrake area and maybe also the console on the passengers side. It was especially true when the top was down. It turned out that the paper heater hose in the passengers footwell was cracked and leaking hot air. Even when the heat was off hot air leaked into the cabin. With the top down the air and heat swirled and felt like it was coming off the center console and the handbrack/shifter area.

It was a $14 part and 10 minutes to change myself. This is a fairly common problem as the cars get 10 years + old. Might be worth pealing back the carpet on the outboard side of the passengers footwell to see if the paper hose is cracked at all.

There's probably only a 20% chance this is your problem, but if it is, it's cheap and easy to fix.

Here's your explanation and fix: If you remove the storage bin or cassette holder (depending on what you have) in the center console, you will find a rubber flap that covers the access point for the upper two transmission tube bolts. If this rubber cover comes off or loose for some reason, you will get hot air blowing from the handbrake area. You just need to pop it back in place, and your problem will be solved. The pic below shows the hole after the cassette bin is removed and the rubber cover is removed.

I think the covers part number is 964 504 465 02.

Keith

Thanks so much for looking this up I think this is how it feels it also changes with heating settings not totally but slightly hence I thought heat exchanger...
Also more noticable on passenger side and with roof off
So possible this
Will keep you posted

training for formula 1

So I think the crumbled heating tube is the problem what caught me out today however was a good old blow out.....
Followed sat nav to g back on motor way in cinque terre and fell in mother of all pot holes
:?
20 year old vredestein folding tyre and compressor worked but no valve....
So very wonky Ryde back to sanremo
Hopefully get a new tyre tomorrow
Just hope the wheel (17" cup) is ok

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back