Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre Clarification

stevepen

Spa-Francorchamps
Picked up my new 996 yesterday :D

Loving it but the tyres on the rear are not he same so want to get a matching pair.

The confusion is that in the handbook and what's already on the car are 225/40 18 and 265/35 18. But when I put the reg number in on the tyre websites they all come out at 235/40 18 and 285/30 18.

Which is right?

Depends on the wheels. If I put my reg into one of the tyre seller sites it tells me the rear tyres are 265s, the ones on the car are 285s.

How wide is the wheel? it will have the width and offset stamped either side of the valve if they are Porsche items. the width is the (x)J number, e.g. 9j, which would mean 9 inches wide.

trig_112 said:
Depends on the wheels. If I put my reg into one of the tyre seller sites it tells me the rear tyres are 265s, the ones on the car are 285s.

How wide is the wheel? it will have the width and offset stamped either side of the valve if they are Porsche items. the width is the (x)J number, e.g. 9j, which would mean 9 inches wide.

Just had a look and they are 18" Sport Design 10" wide.

stevepen said:
Just had a look and they are 18" Sport Design 10" wide.

Recommended size is 265, max size is 285.
I had 285 on mine, liked the 'fatter look.
I had 225/40/18 on 7.5J fronts.

Isn't the 265 the recommended width for a 3.4 and 285 for a 3.6?

That's my understanding.

EGTE said:
Isn't the 265 the recommended width for a 3.4 and 285 for a 3.6?

That's my understanding.

Yes thank you. After more researching that looks the answer. Both sizes will fit the rims ok. I'll stick to the 265's as originally factory supplied.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back