Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo Tyres

Remote

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all,

time is up for the rear tyres on the Turbo.

Currently it's on Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's and is has 315/30/18 on the rear and 245/35/18 on the front (GT2 sizes)

I've noticed on Camskill that there are two different Pirelli options, one being an "Asimmetrico" £213 and the other just a normal P-Zero Rosso £184

Michelin do the Pilot Sport 2 £256, which I am keen to try, however I don't want to be running Pirelli and Michelin at the same time.

Are the Michelin's much better than the Pirelli's, if so would it be worth changing all four?

I used to run the Pirelli "Corsa" tyre which was fantastic, however they no longer appear to do this.

Is the Pilot Sport 2 the only tyre Michelin do for the Turbo? Do they offer a higher performance tyre?

Thanks

Michelin do a few tyres that are higher performance, but are more track biased and lose wet weather performance:

Pilot Sport Cup
Pilot Sport Cup2
Pilot Sport Cup+

Don't ask me about the differences as I don't know.

They also do the Pilot Super Sport which is a newer tyre than than the Pilot Sport 2.

Whytar said:
Michelin do a few tyres that are higher performance, but are more track biased and lose wet weather performance:

Pilot Sport Cup
Pilot Sport Cup2
Pilot Sport Cup+

Don't ask me about the differences as I don't know.

They also do the Pilot Super Sport which is a newer tyre than than the Pilot Sport 2.

The supersport is not available in normal turbo sizes unfortunately :nooo: . Not sure about GT2 sizes tho.

Can't find PSS in turbo sizes.

Ran Cups on my T until recently, dry grip is limpet like, not so good in the wet but better than you'd expect. They only come with 4mm new so don't last that long, 3-4K on my car.

Remote said:
Currently it's on Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's and is has 315/30/18 on the rear and 245/35/18 on the front (GT2 sizes)
Slightly O/T but am I correct in thinking the GT2 and turbo wheels are the same size?

My turbo has non-standard 235 fronts (standard is supposed to be 225) with the standard sized 295 rears. I keen to swap soon, because you hear stories of mismatched front-rear rolling radius playing havoc with the 4WD system.

I am running Pilot Cups on the rear, really super grip and all the power down all of the time. Laugh was I fitted them the day before the MOT and the tester says " your car is excellent however you don't have much wear left in those rears ".
As stated they come with 4mm out the wrapper.
So downsides are 4-5 k wear, which is about 2 summers maybe. And, just forget it in the wet or even the damp, especially in a tuned car, it will kill you quite easily. I don't track my car, so the reasoning was it only goes out in the dry so I will get away with it.
I wont buy them again though, the extra grip they offer is really minimal over the PS2 that they replaced, for road use anyway.
To get them to really work they need some high speed corners which you only get on the track to generate a level of heat in them.

996 Turbo Manual
9E Stage 1

Diggermeister: You are correct. Messing around with non-standard tyre sizes f&cks up the diff. There is a reason why Porsche use the tyres and diff ratios that they supply cars with from the factory.

Chris at Exel Wheels had mentioned this when he supplied me 4 new PS2's and I asked about other size tyres.

I suppose it is even more pronounced effect on the diff I the wheel siz is also changed?

So the PS2's are the best regarded??

I may just bite the bullet and put 4 new tyres on it, I've never had the PS2's on it, always been Pirelli, but have no intention of mixing brands.

Remote said:
So the PS2's are the best regarded??

I may just bite the bullet and put 4 new tyres on it, I've never had the PS2's on it, always been Pirelli, but have no intention of mixing brands.

PS2s get my vote :thumb: rears lasted approx 15k miles (Alps trip finished them off :grin:) fronts lasted another 5k, decent dry grip and reasonable wet grip, so much better than PZero's IMHO

I used PS2s on my turbo. In answer to the question "Are they better than P-Zeros" - Yes. By about a million percent.

I have had Continental Sport Contact 2's all round on our Turbo for the last few years and have been very happy - a great wearing tyre in my experience. I recently had to replace the rear tyres (after covering approx 11k miles - which I thought was impressive) and got them locally for £190 including VAT and fitting. I thought that was very reasonable for the amount of rubber there is involved! :)

Diggermeister said:
Remote said:
Slightly O/T but am I correct in thinking the GT2 and turbo wheels are the same size?

My turbo has non-standard 235 fronts (standard is supposed to be 225) with the standard sized 295 rears. I keen to swap soon, because you hear stories of mismatched front-rear rolling radius playing havoc with the 4WD system.

GT2 Wheels are 12" wide at the rear and 8 1/2" on the front. Turbo wheels are 11" and 8"
There is always scope for putting larger tyres on rims, but running a 235 front with a 295 rear will adversely affect your 4WD system.

I've just put a pair of Cooper Zeons on the front of my car. Replaced the SportContact 5.

So far they feel like a far superior tyre (and conti's have always been my preferred tyre). The ride quality has improved, the grip is excellent and they are also A-rated for wet grip.

£80 a corner too? Suits you sir!

Oh, no they are not N rated, and I know that it means my car will fall to bits, but thats just the way I roll.... :bandit:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back