Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water pump questions

Y2K

Hockenheim
Tried searching but no luck.....

My car is having a minor service this month and having low temperature thermostat fitted, amongst other things. The car has done just under 77k miles and I'm not sure if it's still got the original water pump, so...

Is it a problematic part?
How long do they tend to last?
If it requires changing, then any recommendations re: brands?

Thanks.

They last about 100k but of course some will fail sooner, some later.

You are probably still on the original, unless you have any paperwork to suggest otherwise.

There are a few options and I personally fitted an FIA brand. The OEM unit has a plastic impeller and the cheaper aftermarket units use a metal impeller.

Pro and cons, the metal impeller could lunch the engine casing inside the water pump housing if run for long with a failed bearing (would make quite a racket) v the impeller blades shear off the oem pump and get lodged in the main water channel and the lack of pumping will reduce the cooling efficiency of a system that's already not ideal.

Just my observations
:thumb:

Remove your ancillary belt and do a freeplay check on the waterpump pulley, this will give an indication of bearing wear. I don't think the impeller is likely to shear or self destruct on it's own accord, most likely the bearing fails then the knock-on effect is the damage the impellor causes. I added a few pictures and description recently in my lightweight thread.
In my case I just heard a strange noise one morning on starting the car. Then upon parking the car I noticed a puddle of water under the waterpump. So there are definite indications when waterpump failure is imminent. The stock impellor is plastic and there are also metallic variants. I fitted a metallic one. As I mentioned the other thread has a few pics and detail.

I was going to change mine over last month when I did the LTT but decided against it for a couple of reasons...mainly because I don't believe theres anything wrong with it yet so going to leave it alone until it needs attention.

The only problem I had was this annoying little brittle bit of plastic snapped in the pipe from the header tank down to the water pump

The problem with the OEM plastic impeller is that the blades shear off individually.

As mentioned check the pulley and try and detect if the bearing has any play, if so replace.

This is what happens once the bearing fails

Thanks for the replies.

I'll asked for the pulley to be checked whilst fitting the LTT. Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back