Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Nearly There!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

WOW! Respect!! :worship:

Wow! That's good to hear. What year is your 996?

1999 C4. Very not standard but the engine and box are pretty much as they left Porsche. Original IMS etc.!

poppopbangbang said:
1999 C4. Very not standard but the engine and box are pretty much as they left Porsche. Original IMS etc.!

Excellent! Refreshing to see good news about the engines for once and just shows what can be possible. Seen too many posts like "all these engines will bore score and oval by 150k"

:worship: awesome........love to see this!!!!

Well done! Nice to hear it's not a Trigger's Broom job either.

Out of interest, how have you got it to that level? Motorway commuting? Big road trips?

maybe he took the advice from Jon at YCP and had Ferdinand Porsche himself come down and check the car.. :eh!:

:worship: I'd go through 6 engines to get those miles.

Nothing special about this one really. It's the "Sweet Spot" of a mid 99 car so has the dual row IMS and ferrous piston coating. Aside from that it was on standard service intervals until I purchased it at just shy of 100K and since then has been on 10K intervals on spec fluids (bar coolant which has always been Imugel).

It is not unusual for this car to do 1000 miles + in 24 hours and whilst it does do a few short runs out etc. (it is afterall my daily) a lot of it's time is spent pounding across Europe to a variety of race circuits and teams. Even with these miles it probably has 25% of the cold starts most do and I do take care to get temperature into it before it gets any stick.

As things have worn out I've upgraded them and it is on pretty strict maintenance as it needs to be as reliable as anything complex and mechanical can be so various parts are lifed and replaced on a time basis. Waterpumps are now a yearly swap and I change some bearings in the FEAD at the same time as they're cheap and quick to change. The hardlines on the rack are now formed Ti as these are a lifetime solution, various fasteners have also been replaced with Ti alternatives for the same reason. It has ALL the sphericals in the suspension replaced on a yearly basis (and there are a few now). In short it gets well looked after and it does travel with it's own spares and tool kit (crank sensor, cam sensor, plugs, two coils, MAF and the usual bodge fix supplies) but this doesn't change the fact that what was meant to be a very unreliable engine in Porsche folklore and on the internet has been 12 times around the world, burnt about 61K lites of fuel and is still mostly original :D

Great write up. Which Inugel do you use and many litres from empty?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back