Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche and the wet?

cbr6dc

Montreal
Things to look out for? I know the engine is somewhat protected but does it get all the crap sucked up from the road?

How does it handle corrosion? My Focus is younger but rusty....

Actually saw about 4x newer Porsche 911s out in rain today. Interesting to see.

Do I have to be careful of anything with handling being rear engined? The grip is great because of the weight however I'm assuming this is countered by making the rear liable to spin out?

They're ok with regards to not rotting. Be careful (like any car) in the wet. ALL cars have less grip in the rain. Main thing is don't go too fast on the bends and don't brake hard going into a bend.

Best thing to do is next time it's wet, get on an empty car park and give it some stick. Do this with both PSM on and off if you have it. You'll get a good idea how the PSM works then. That thing is a life saver.

I have no idea what PSM is, let how to check it lol.

I meant if you accelerate, you can do so briskly because it's rear engined and has the weight over the wheels.

Porsche Stability Management - traction control. They are fine in the wet in a straight line.

Makes sense as could pin it and grip was great. Was waiting for it to spin up but nothing. Cool.

I think Alex yates has given the best advise to learn .. car park in the wet .. or if you want to pay theres always that silverstone experience .. you,ll certainly learn about PSM there !

LOL bet none were 993s !!!

Rain is wet, just respect it as you would in any other car

FRP said:
LOL bet none were 993s !!!

Rain is wet, just respect it as you would in any other car

I take it 993s have 'the Italian problem' like Italian motorbikes do with electrics? ;)

Where are these empty car parks you speak of?

I've always wanted to ***** about in a deserted car park but never done it - 1) because I can't ever find one, 2) if I do find one there are usually raised kerbs, and 3) cameras - should we worry about cameras in car parks if we are doing donuts, handbrakes or big 11's?

:dont know:

ragpicker said:

Blackburn at all the deserted commercial centres. That place makes Coventry look like boomtown :grin:

mine lives outside all the time ,I drive mine in the wet, in the snow,in the ice, in the hail and in the very hot sunshine. Its my daily and when everything is said and done it is after all only a car, not a small infant or cuddly animal a car to be used and enjoyed like all the other cars on the road well probably enjoyed more than most of the others but still driven. I do like the car and it is fully valeted every week and it is looked after as a nice car should be. but in return it gives me 12/15k pa of enjoyable motoring with out being some precious italian exotic that need to be kept in a climate controlled garage and only driven a few hundred miles a year . WHAT'S THE POINT IN THAT.

:thumb: :grin: :bandit:

ragpicker said:

I've always wanted to ***** about in a deserted car park but never done it - 1) because I can't ever find one, 2) if I do find one there are usually raised kerbs, and 3) cameras - should we worry about cameras in car parks if we are doing donuts, handbrakes or big 11's?

:dont know:

Used to be a good one behind the racecourse, had lots of fun in the Cossie in there in the rain/snow. :thumbs:

How are you doing big 11's in the 996?? You RWD'd it?

The best thing I have done to learn the limits of my car (997TT) was take it to a Rockingham wet grip day - much lower limits, lots of run off, etc., so basically a very safe place to learn how it's going to behave.

It probably saved my a*se when I hit fresh snow at around 80ish on the M6 early last year..

The golden rule with a 911 when pressing on, it slow in ,fast out. You have masses of rear grip, so it will fire out of bends with no slippage (unless you're being a complete tw@) If you're finding understeer, you can trail brake into a bend to keep some weight on the front tyres. The levels of grip with these cars is so amazing, you've really got to be a bit of a berk to lose it. If you want tail happy antics, trade it for a Toyota GT86, those things are sideways everywhere. :grin:

That's cool. I was nervous because I was foot flat to the floor in a straight line in the wet and it didn't slip. I was expecting it to spin up but it just went!

How does PSM work? Was it an option? Do lights come on the dash or does it just do its thing?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccosh
Back