Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The name Carrera!

Niall996

Imola
I stumbled upon this site which is I'm sure for fake watches but what caught my attention was the fake TagHeuer Carrera:

[urlhttps://www.toptagheuer.com[/url]

And it struck me, what a magical name. Porsche 911 Carrera. So often the word resonates amongst Porsche people as 'entry level' which is a pity. It's such an evocative name. Dripping with historical nuances. It should be seen as the ultimate 911 in it's own way. The purist embodiment of the 911 vision. Their greatest road sports car. Maybe not their fastest, maybe not their most track focussed, but for the lover of great road cars, real sports cars, the ultimate expression of what a road sports car should be.

The turbo has its brand ID. The warp factor continent crushing stellar nuclear powerstation.

The GT3 has it's own brand ID. The most surgically precise circuit demolisher. The king of the ring.

The Carrera? Entry level? Seems such a dismal interpretation probably symptomatic of a world captivated by Nurburgring times and Trump Card Car stats.

but surely there's a place left for romance. The driver, the car, the open road. Hands, feet, steering wheel, pedals, gear level, twisting asphalt, a blurred rush of ditches and walls, up steep gradients, down plunging corkscrew hairpins, across narrow stone bridges and through mountain tunnels. And then the cooling down snap crackle and pop beside you as one savours a contemplative pint of cool beer!

Is that not the supreme motoring nirvana? And does the word Carrera not embody everything we always dreamed of as young adolescent car fanatics?.

So my call out to Porsche is, honour the name. Cherish it. Protect it. Never devalue it. Save it for your truest incarnation of the sports car for the real world. Whenever I meet people and they ask me what my car is I say 911. And they ask innocently with awe and open eyes, 'but is it a Carrera?" I smile and nod affirmatively. Knowing in my soul that there are faster and more tuned versions. But somehow the word has found a place in the wider public imagination. As it did with me as a young boy. Some sort of intangible magic. Maybe it's because the word adorned the flanks of epic heroes like the 2.7rs. And consequently, an infinity of Dinky, Matchbox, Scalextric and Corgi models. It's as iconic as the word Porsche itself or 911. Or even, well, maybe not, turbo. And certainly from a wider public perception the title GT3 or RS. It just sounds exotic and beautiful. And that's why Tag Heuer make a Carrera. But we call it 'entry level!"

Maybe all of us Carrera people should get those decals out once again and display and preserve the name with pride. We don't just drive 911's. We drive 911 Carrera's.

Great point well put over , the reference to the boyhood memories with the Corgi / Dinky etc cars resonates with me too.....
To me the Carrera name conjures up a number of thoughts related to the 'Carerra Panamericana' road race and the excitement and danger or road racing ....
but the Carrera name adorns the back of the very cars we all aspired to own and we should cherish it .... It's generally the motoring press media that dub it the ' entry level' 911 and most of these guys never actually own one , so they never really appreciate the cars as we do ...as we actually spend our hard earned on our cars ...

I personally love them all .....

T

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back