Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Great fuel debate

Shandythegreat

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all,

So I know this must have been covered - sadly I cant find any posts on it. I run my 911 on Shell V-Power and always have. But right next to my office is a Sainsburys with the 97 ron super unleaded........ Its a bit of a faf to get to Shell but a nice drive out. This morning that pesky light came on and without wanting to get caught with my trousers between my legs I got thinking - why don't I just run this tank on Sainsburys, its 97 vs 98 ron but for rare occasions will be ok?

Or just a big no no and drive out to shell, slowly....

Thanks all in advance and yes I know the benefits of Shell over sains with the octane, additives etc and will never push a low grade fuel for more than the daily driving.

If you are that concerned just put a tenner's worth in at Sainsburys and then go to the other place.

MC

:agree: I agree with Mr.corn for me it's ok to use supermarket super unleaded in an emergency but then top up with your preferred fuel.
Some will tell you they run on supermarket regular or super all the time but I don't.
Also I thought Vmax was 99ron which is about the best you can get in the UK.
I also try to only use Shell vmax and my car certainly seems to run better on it.. :thumb: :grin:

Awesum, thanks guys - so as I suspected. Throw £20 in and pop over to Shell. It has always run great on V-Power so why risk the change for my little alcoholic

andylang said:
Awesum, thanks guys - so as I suspected. Throw £20 in and pop over to Shell. It has always run great on V-Power so why risk the change for my little alcoholic

Good call :thumb: :grin:

Just picked my little girl up from the garage and first thing I did was to fill her up with the very finest v-max

Osh

Osh said:
Just picked my little girl up from the garage and first thing I did was to fill her up with the very finest v-max

Osh

Osh, thought you Bristolians used red diesel :thumb: :grin:

Phil 997 said:
Osh said:

Osh

Phil - while I understand your thinking, I was born and dragged up in Newcastle-under-Lyme...me lover... :D

Osh

Osh said:
Phil 997 said:
Osh said:

Osh

Phil - while I understand your thinking, I was born and dragged up in Newcastle-under-Lyme...me lover... :D

Osh

:thumb: Bristol is a bit like Bournemouth mate, no one that lives there was actually born there. and no comment about gods waiting room :thumb: :grin: We used to have an office in Bristol and every time I phoned the reception girl actually said to me " Elo me lover" I said "Gordon bennet loverduck, speak bloomin proper wiwl ya " :grin:

Osh said:
Phil 997 said:
Osh said:

Osh

Osh

Haven't heard of NuL for a long time. An old ex of mine lived in Wolstanton. I still have a hankering for Potteries oatcakes!

jinjaninja said:
Osh said:
Phil 997 said:
Osh said:

Osh

Osh

Haven't heard of NuL for a long time. An old ex of mine lived in Wolstanton. I still have a hankering for Potteries oatcakes!

Morning m8

Wolstanton was an old stompin ground for me; been out with loads of girls from Wolstanton.

If you look up Povey's Oatcakes you can order them on line and they do a next day delivery service. Bostin.... :thumb:

Osh

Right all,

I have a final word on the great fuel debate......

When desperate, put £20 of the 97 Premium supermarket fuel in. No more.

I tried a full tank of Sainsburys 97 as I got carried away and forgot........... ops! Used half a tank then went away for 10 days.

When I got back to my 911 (996.1 daily driver), it was a bit rough on start up - thought id go for a spin for an hour on the motorway to clear its throat. Then it started misfiring Cyl. 1!!!!!

As it was just under 1/4 left, I put in a full tank of the usual V-Power, another hour on the motorway and little country blast - engine check light was off, so I cleared codes and still no faults!

Amazing what a difference a bit of shitty supermarket fuel can make!!!

I'm 20 miles from my nearest Shell that stocks V-power and 15 miles from a Tesco that has 99. So mine get quite a bit of Sainsburys (3 miles away) and seems to run fine.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back