Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Four Up - The Road Trip

jinjaninja

Looking for some advice, Ladies & Gents:

I was thinking wistfully about taking a road trip down to Barcelona, to visit a mate, in the 996 C4S and it turns out the wife and kids are keen to come too!

Are we completely insane for contemplating this? Luggage space is one problem. The other is legroom for the kids in the back. We have two boys, 10 and 8 years old, who regularly use the back seats on shortish trips but I'm a bit worried about them being in there for the longer stints.

Anyone got any experience of travelling across Europe, fully loaded?!

I travel down to the South of France once or twice a year. Last time was me, the bird and the dog. So long as the kids can fit in, should be ok. Stop every 4 hours to refuel and stretch and it's fine. Worst bit is driving through the UK.

If luggage is a problem, post it with UPS or the likes. Should only be about £20 each way.

If the kids were no older than say 6 then you may have got away with it but even then it's a big ask (of them). Longest I've done is 7.5 hours to Cornwall last year but that was just me and the Mrs with the back seats full of luggage and shizzle.

Yep, Kimbo may be right :eek:

A 530d auto on the other hand would be an excellent weapon for such a journey & I know of one that's for sale :mrgreen:

alex yates said:
I travel down to the South of France once or twice a year. Last time was me, the bird and the dog. So long as the kids can fit in, should be ok. Stop every 4 hours to refuel and stretch and it's fine. Worst bit is driving through the UK.

If luggage is a problem, post it with UPS or the likes. Should only be about £20 each way.

Posting your luggage, never heard of that before, genius :worship:

alex yates said:

Posting your luggage, never heard of that before, genius :worship:

Alex Yates. That is genius.

Or take two cars. I used to drive to Cornwall in the 993 behind Madam in the Estate car. Or was it the other way round.

I'm currently in Lisbon having taken the ferry over to Santander from Portsmouth. Driving around Europe is a piece of p. People make far too much of this. Just get in, close the doors and drive.
:)

I Wouldn't take it personally 4 up in a Cabriolet. Attempt a trial run with four sets of luggage, 2 cramped children. It'd be a nightmare, not a holiday. Let them fly down ahead and you take the cabriolet on a road trip :thumb:

I think the rate limiting factor is the rear passengers though - you can easily cross a continent in relative comfort, just so long as you're sat in the front...

Roro said:
I'm currently in Lisbon having taken the ferry over to Santander from Portsmouth. Driving around Europe is a piece of p. People make far too much of this. Just get in, close the doors and drive.
:)

+1

chimp911 said:
I think the rate limiting factor is the rear passengers though - you can easily cross a continent in relative comfort, just so long as you're sat in the front...

My GF just suggested sedating the kids with something appropriate. Ketamine should do the trick......and they'll probably enjoy it too.

What I really don't get is folk lie in bed for 8-10 hours, fly long haul flights for 17 hours, watch crap tv for 12 hours, sit in a grotty boozer for 10 hours, go to work for 8 hours........yet when it comes to having the experience of your life, crossing a continent, with epic scenery, on nice clear roads for 12 hours in the car of your dreams, folk sh!t their pants :dont know:

Kimbo said:
Crazy idea. Buy a Cayenne.
You mean,
crazy idea, buy a plane ticket & rent a car :thumb:
you will thank me :)
Or, fly the kids and wife their 2 days after you leave, then pick them up @ Barcelona airport :thumb: :thumb: everyones a winner :dont know: i'm a genius :thumb:

alex yates said:
My GF just suggested sedating the kids with something appropriate. Ketamine should do the trick......and they'll probably enjoy it too.

Give me a dose of Ketamine and I'll happily sit in the back :puh:

I've driven over 40k miles in my 911, most of them in the Alps, Pyrenees, Scottish Highlands and travelled many of the very best roads Europe has to offer in between - a wonderful hedonsitic celebration of man and machine... :driving:

But I also remember the mind-numbing boredom as a young lad in the back of the family car traversing France and Spain each summer as we trudged for hour after hour along featureless autoroutes... :frustrated:

Kids don't like to be sat in the back of cars for more than a few hours, much less if it is as cramped as a 911, and if you're putting your own concerns before those of your loved ones, then I doubt you'll enjoy the journey half as much as you're hoping...

Can it be done? Sure. Should it be done? Er...fly them there and drive down to meet them instead... :thumb:

There are other options :)

image.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back