Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Value of Porsche Extended Warranty

ColinR

I have been offered the Porsche 2 year extended warranty on my 03 996 GT3. My car is standard spec so no clash with upgrades etc. My thinking is that if I was to take it out, I would more than recover the cost should I sell it (compared to a trade -in or private sale).

I am interested to here people's views - when you bought your GT3 did you value or would you have valued the Porsche warranty sufficiently to have paid more for the car compared to 1) a standalone private seller 2) reputable independent?

:?:

I personally think that a mezger engined GT3 is the exception to the general rule of thumb that an OPC warranty is a good thing.

Good question.

The porsche warranty only covers cars upto 15 years old - so the fact that you can get 2 years in is very good. Also, as cars get older, more things do need doing - so this whole warranty that they offer is the same where a car is a few years old, or more than 10.

Selling on in the future - whether you sell privately (which means warranty gets transferred) or you sell to a dealer, the fact that porsche will have fixed anything that needs doing is worth gold dust.

If you have the cash, get the warranty.

I've just extended mine by another 2 years - and though the money has gone out of my account - I don't miss it, but know that my car is going to be ok - so I can just enjoy it!

ColinR said:
...... My thinking is that if I was to take it out, I would more than recover the cost should I sell it (compared to a trade -in or private sale).

It won't add value to a trade-in as the warranty becomes void. If you haven't claimed on it you can however recover a pro-rata amount of the cost.

Do people buy GT3s privately :?: If so, then I'd expect that buyer to see a car with an OPC warranty as more desirable than one without. How much they'd be prepared to pay for that .... :dont know:

T8 said:
ColinR said:
...... My thinking is that if I was to take it out, I would more than recover the cost should I sell it (compared to a trade -in or private sale).

It won't add value to a trade-in as the warranty becomes void. If you haven't claimed on it you can however recover a pro-rata amount of the cost.

Do people buy GT3s privately :?: If so, then I'd expect that buyer to see a car with an OPC warranty as more desirable than one without. How much they'd be prepared to pay for that .... :dont know:
I'd quite happily buy a GT car privately. My concern would be more on the HPI issue rather than the warranty side of things. The process wouldn't change as I'd still get an OPC inspection even if it had a warranty. When I see a car with OPC warranty, my take on it is that within the last two years it was within factory tolerances for it to be in the Porsche network. It doesn't guarantee that it will be included in the program at its renewal, hence my need for the OPC inspection.

FZP said:
............ When I see a car with OPC warranty, my take on it is that within the last two years it was within factory tolerances for it to be in the Porsche network. It doesn't guarantee that it will be included in the program at its renewal, hence my need for the OPC inspection.

This particular car won't be able to have an warranty extension after this 2 years anyway.

For me the attraction of buying a car with an existing OPC warranty is that anything that may have been 'iffy' (outside of worn consumables) will have been fixed already or will be fixed 'foc and without any quibble' in future.

Buying privately or from 'some' dealers doesn't give anything like as much protection.

But they dont just replace things under warranty because the may be iffy...

Its not a bad value Insurance policy generally but i dont know whats covered on 13 year old cars and how much it costs?

Most of the stuff that goes wrong on a 996 is wear and tear, if the engine goes bang then chances are it will be the fault of the driver so you wont be covered anyway.

All the stupidly expensive things aren't on a 996, PCM, PSM, lift etc.
997' maybe get the waaranty, 996 i wouldn't bother personally.

Senoj said:
Its not a bad value Insurance policy generally but i dont know whats covered on 13 year old cars and how much it costs?

the warranty covers everything outside of wear and tear items for £1100 (12 months)or £1840 (24 months).

I'd be sure to check that track days don't invalidate it though.

Many thanks to everyone taking the time to post a reply - very helpful.

Considering everything, I am likely to take up the warranty. So far as I can tell, there are no 996 GT3 currently being offered for sale with a Porsche warranty - so in that way, should I ever decide to sell, my car will stand out.

Alternative standalone warranties just don't seem to be out there - e.g. I approached a well known independent who generally offer warranties but they said that they had stopped offering them on GT and turbo cars as, (among other things) they could not make it work (commercially). Suggesting things can go wrong even for this class of car.

The warranty of course has exclusions (eg exhaust, dampers and brakes) but it still covers expensive bits like engine, electrics, gearbox, rads, suspension linkages etc. There are no specific track day exclusions but I guess over revving that leads to a claim would be challenged.

Putting myself in the shoes of a buyer - I would take some comfort from a prospective 13/14 year old car being covered by a Porsche backed scheme for all the nasty bits to go wrong. It would also suggest to me that the car is generally a good'un. I think I would value that cover more than say a 6 month scheme backed by a supplying independent.

Thanks again for your views.

PS Whilst my car was being accessed and serviced, I have been lent a brand new 911 Targa 4. Great bit of kit, but a quite different driving experience from our 996 GT3- its helped me "get" why the GT and R cars are still being made and loved.
:lol:

I think it would make a difference. If I was returning my car to 'stock' prior to selling I'd slap a warranty on it for sure :thumb:

It wont make a difference, IMHO. The list of 996 GT3 warranty claims is small..

If i was in the market a Porsche warranty may be some kind of small benefit, it may pay out for a radiator or an alternator but at that age w&t will be a major factor in warranty decisions. I would rather the previous owner had spent the money on extra oil changes or decent brakes, suspension refresh..but an inspection on the day would be what i would be most interested in, dont buy the car buy the seller and all that.

Well I make no bones about it, on a 997, warranty all the way, as has been
said already there are way too many gadgets to go wrong, so the warranty
is a big benefit. On a 996, clearly its going to be wear and tear issues, but if
you were in the market for buying one, I'd say that the history and seller will
be the biggest + or - factor here.
If I was buying the car i'd like to see a proper OPC warranty...imho i'd go for
it !. :wink:

Roro said:
I think regardless of whether 996 or 997, a warranty would help sell, no? (Assuming private sale)

I think thers a difference. 996's are older than some of my t shirts...but whats the lst that goes wrong on a 996?

Pasm - doesn't have it
Lift - doesnt have it
Centrelocks- doesn't have it
PCM - doesn't have it
TPMS - doesn't have it
Clonking front struts - 997 issue
Titanium exhaust crack - doesn't have it

So we are back to rads...maybe worth it..maybe not.

my gt3 997 is going in for mot and warranty Check next Wednesday. I will renew for another two years. Peace of mine and hopefully add some desirability and value if I sell soon. Mine has had warranty and Porsche service history from new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back