Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 1 991 turbo s or gen 2 carrera s

Nutsucow

Hi guys ,

I would like to ask and an un biased view regarding the two vehicles I have mentioned in my subject,
I'm in a bit of turmoil at the moment, I have placed a deposit for a gen 2 carrera s for delivery in September but I am equally drawn to a 2nd hand 991 Turbo S gen 1 63-64 plate, I was loaned a gen 2 Carrera 4s for five days and loved the new engine and latest satnav and steering wheel features, this aside I also drove a turbo S very briefly on a test drive and although the performance on tap was biblical and does come with ceramic brakes and all the bells and whistles The engine didn't have the same character as the Carrera.

Financially the turbo it's going to cost about £10,000 more but it's going to be about 2 to 3 years old, so was wondering which one makes better financial sense after two years to trade back at a Porsche dealer?

Expert advice would be greatly appreciated

Nick

:welcome: to 911uk

Financially buying a brand new 'ordinary' 911 will cost a lot of money in depreciation.

A 3 year old car will have taken the massive hit that they all suffer. After that depreciation continues for another 3 years but slows down before virtually stopping at 9 years.

From a driving point of view a lot depends upon what use you're going to make of the car and how many miles you're likely to do.

As a weekend toy on fast roads the Turbo will blow you away. As a car to be used more often and on ordinary roads the unused performance will leave you very frustrated and you won't have the benefit of the aural pleasure.

It doesn't answer your question but personally I'd go for a 3 year old C4S. :wink:

Have a look at last of the line na GTS too. Otherwise the 991 turbo S will cost far less in terms of depreciation. New car will lose 50% over three year. Used Turbo about 35-40% if you buy it well.

Thank you for the prompt reply guys very much appreciated

I will be using it as a second vehicle and probably will be covering approximately 8000 miles per year, so will be trying to use it when it's dry and on weekends, I plan to keep the car a maximum of two years with intention to upgrade to a newer model.

So what does one do?

Low milage turbo S in GT Silver? Or agate grey Carrea S gen 2.

How does the gen 2 991 sound compare to the gen 1 991 turbo? They are both turbos after all.

While a turbo cannot come on sound to a non turbo car with pse, I have to say my turbo sounds very very nice to my ears.

I don't think you can make a bad decision with your choice. Both cars will be stupendous :)

I must say considering the carrera is twin turbocharged it sounds about 85% gen 1 s with sports exhaust though, it's very flexible low down and throughout to the redline, so it's quite characterful and the sports button on the steering wheel is very useful if a little gimmicky at first initial thought.

The turbo s on the other hand is funny fast but doesn't quite sound as engaging as the S but it does look the part though,And does sound the better financial proposition over 2 years of ownership.

Either way I am having a very very difficult time deciding which to go for, I'm so undecided as to which to go for, if it is a turbo s I have my eye on a gt silver one up at silverstone, it has film protection on it and looks almost new with no stone chips ,is low Millage and 1 owner.

Is it a case of head rules the heart or vise versa..

T8 said:
It doesn't answer your question but personally I'd go for a 3 year old C4S. :wink:

+1 :thumb:

991 Gen 1 C4S or 991 Gen 1 4 GTS every time - you will be astounded by the everyday useability of both these cars, and save a load of cash to boot. :)

DRZ911 said:
T8 said:

991 Gen 1 C4S or 991 Gen 1 4 GTS every time - you will be astounded by the everyday useability of both these cars, and save a load of cash to boot. :)

We have a 991 gts and a 997 turbo in the family tree,so preferably would like something a little different :thumb:

Nutsucow said:
DRZ911 said:
T8 said:

We have a 991 gts and a 997 turbo in the family tree,so preferably would like something a little different :thumb:

458 Italia :D

IMI A said:
Nutsucow said:
DRZ911 said:
T8 said:

458 Italia :D

Drove one very briefly sounded very orchestral but just a little too impractical.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back