Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo Coolant leak

Pickse

Nurburgring
I saw a low coolant warning message last night, together with a flashing red light on the water temp gauge.
But no clouds of white smoke and the temp was constant at 80deg so I continued the couple of miles home,
This morning I topped up the coolant level, it took 3 litres is that a lot? It sounds like a lot, and warmed up the engine.
I could smell coolant so I started to look for a leak and lo underneath I found this.
2016-04-23%2008.40.38_zps7dcjgph2.jpg

Coolant is dripping of the back edge of the undertray a little towards the offside.

Any thoughts on what it could be? Do coolant pipes run forward in this area.

And I'm supposed to be on the chunnel to Dinslaken next Saturday :nooo:

Have you had any of your coolant pipes welded into the engine? Could one of those (there are 8 ) if not.

Another common point of failure is the coolant tank, but it looks a little far forward for that if it's dripping in front of the wheel.

Both are are engine drop jobs I'm afraid.

The dreaded coolant issue...

First of all, that picture isnt very helpful mate because its almost impossible to see where its coming from with it being so dark. Not to worry though because it doesnt really matter!

Suffice it to say that if one of the hoses has gone it will spray coolant everywhere and can look like its coming from anywhere!

3L is not a lot of coolant at all, and if the light was flashing and you have a big puddle under the car then its likely that you've lost a lot more but have an air lock in the system now which is preventing it taking more. I think these cars use about 9-13L of coolant from memory.

From your description of the location of the leak I am leaning towards it being the pipe which comes out of the power steering pump bracket. This is actually reasonably easy to get to and can be seen from above the engine - to the right and behind the Y-Pipe, about 6 inches down towards the floor. Have a look for my thread on this a while back to see what it looks like.

If you are lucky and it is this pipe, you can fix it yourself with some very strong loctite. This will work until you get time to have them all done properly.

Be warned that if one has gone then the rest will soon follow as they have all had the same heat cycles and the old adhesive will be starting to fail on each insert.

My advice: put as much coolant in as it will take now, run the engine at idle and look for it spraying out where I've mentioned. If you can see it and are confident then fix it. If not have the car trailored to your Indy and get your hand in your pocket because it'll be a grand or so to fix.

Good luck

:thumb:

Sorry to read this Stephen. This looks suspiciously like one of the leaks found when mine as getting worked on recently.

Ragpickerupper's advice seems solid. If you're lucky Sid might be in today and could take it in? Or 9E? That way you could still make it on Sat morning? :thumb:

Thanks for your thoughts guys.
RP I found the p/s pump bracket and all is well there.
In fact I can't see any water at all around the engine.

I found a photo of the underside on pelican parts and see rubber hoses for rad flow & return and heater matrix join to metal pipes which run up the centre of the car.
It's in roughly this location I think (hope) my problem lies.

I can't get to have a look till Tuesday but I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again.

Pickse said:
Thanks for your thoughts guys.
RP I found the p/s pump bracket and all is well there.
In fact I can't see any water at all around the engine.

I found a photo of the underside on pelican parts and see rubber hoses for rad flow & return and heater matrix join to metal pipes which run up the centre of the car.
It's in roughly this location I think (hope) my problem lies.

I can't get to have a look till Tuesday but I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again.

Yeah, there are large alu and rubber hoses which run up the middle to send/retun coolant to the rads. If one of the rubber hoses has perished then I would think its an engine drop to replace. I would be surprised if the alu pipe has corroded but I have heard of it happening. Thats a special order item from porsche I believe.

Sounds like you're on top of it though, but dont drive it! :wink:

:eek:

I'd get it in to Sid or 9e or ??? asap

It's a job that needs DOING not pontificating about if you want to make the trip next weekend.

Good Luck :thumb:

Having looked at the picks of the underside of the car, with all the undertrays off it looks like it could be easily done in-situ if it is one of the main coolant 'arteries' which has gone.

I suspect that even if its one of the rubber hoses you will still need to wait for it to arrive from Germany though....

...Dont know anyone going over that way do you who could pick you one up? :dont know:

Turned out to be a heater pipe.
Apparently there are two clipped to the side of the gearbox.
One of mine had come out of its clip and was rubbing against the gearbox.
It finally holed it.

All fixed now due to stellar service from Sid at Porsche Torque.
Who arranged collection of the car, diagnosed the problem and had the part ordered the same day. Fitted the following day and handed back to me this morning.

Thanks Sid :thumb:

ragpicker said:
Absolutely awesome news!

:thumb:

Yes mate, I am going to Dinslaken!

Result :thumbs:
Nice, quick and relatively cheap repair.

Happy days.... :bandit:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartynT
Back