Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

To wrap or not to wrap that is the question?

911tom

Mugello
Seeing Rockunrolla's yellow wrapped 911's got me thinking...

Having only had a full front end respray two years ago my arctic silver 996 turbo is badly chipped already. I am just playing with the numbers and am tempted to wrap the car.

Cost for front end respray + Paintshield protection (I've learned my lesson there) is in the region of £2.6k

Cost to wrap a different colour is in the region of £2.3k.

I am not planning on selling any time soon so I would aim to get a couple of years out of the wrap and then get it either re-done when it gets tatty or revert to option 1.

Thinking a wrap could be fun for a couple of years... In any case I would have to get the stone chips filled, sanded and primed otherwise they will show through the wrap. I have included a few hundred pound in the wrap cost.

What do you think / what would you do?

I was talking to Reep Automotive bout this last weekend at an SCD meet. However as good as the wraps are I think I'm gng to have a clear bra fitted to mine once the paint has been done and it's had time to harden etc.

What I don't know however is if the material they use to wrap if you chose a colour change would actually hide the stone chips? I think it's something you should investigate before going ahead. Would be horrible to do it and be able to see them underneath.

I had my old 911s front end painted once because of stone ships and the painter did a poor job of prepping it and I could see the old chips under the new paintwork. This is the photo I took at the time. You can see white dots on the bonnet, this was the old stone chips.

IMG_1061.jpg

i loved Rockunrolla's yellow 991

Go for it Tom, all reverseable if done properly

I have had my front sprayed twice in 4 years and regret the lack of protection as have a plethora of chips now...peed off to be sure

Go for a wrap, at least you can say you've been there and done it. Yellow, orange, green or even the white with blue stripes at the top of this page would be good....Do it. !

For sure like all these things preperation is key so affected areas will need to be filled, sanded and primed.
I am currently liking a matte blue with subtle, thin, black stripe positioned off centre. I think with my black wheels this will look good. I've got a while to decide.

911tom said:
I am currently liking a matte blue with subtle, thin, black stripe positioned off centre. I think with my black wheels this will look good. I've got a while to decide.

If you are going to do it, then go all out and do a Gulf wrap or Martini style wrap.

:thumb:

HSC911 said:
911tom said:

If you are going to do it, then go all out and do a Gulf wrap or Martini style wrap.

:thumb:

+1 on that :thumb:

Not really a fan of wraps, purely as I like cars to be shiny and beautiful, plus it seems expensive for a coat of clingfilm :grin:

But , for a " making a statement " sort of wrap, then go for it :thumb:

Hmmmmm, my 996 in Gulf Blue.................Hmmmm :grin:

You can get shiny wraps, although many people get the Matte wraps.

isysman said:
You can get shiny wraps, although many people get the Matte wraps.

Yes, but shiny vinyl isn`t shiny shiny, like a polished car is it :dont know:

A guy up the road from me has an Aston DB8 wrapped in chrome...................looks like the dogs droppings :grin:

Full on orange and blue golf scheme would look great.

If you get it wrapped you'll get stone chips - won't the wrap rip with a chip exposing the different colour underneath making it look worse?

I like well wrapped cars but longevity I don't know about.

cbr6dc said:
If you get it wrapped you'll get stone chips - won't the wrap rip with a chip exposing the different colour underneath making it look worse?

I like well wrapped cars but longevity I don't know about.

This stuff protects against damage. That's what it was first designed for. It doesn't chip by stones and any marks in the wrap can be erased by using a little heat.

Here is an extreme test of the film. Yes it's Shmee but it's on topic.

Would be cool to wrap it in order to make it look like this GT3:

porsche-911-gt3-996-gt3-S2207673-5.jpg

I fully recommend a clear bra, mine had one already fitted, had the car almost 4 years now no issues....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back