Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

petrol gauge

steve1

Second job for the weekend
the petrol gauge is giving inconsistant readings need to check the connections on the petrol tank sender is this easy to get to

Steve

Yes, just remove the plastic shroud in the front boot.

On a C4 its under the plastic shroud / cover .. on a C2 its under the battery , remove battery remove the plate with x4 13mm bolts and there it is.

Downside is you have no battery connected if you want to test anything .. a word of warning if you want to use jump leads to connect a battery whilst you test .. if you have the fuel tank open and one of those leads causes a spark ... good bye world :)

Demort said:
On a C4 its under the plastic shroud / cover .. on a C2 its under the battery , remove battery remove the plate with x4 13mm bolts and there it is.

Downside is you have no battery connected if you want to test anything .. a word of warning if you want to use jump leads to connect a battery whilst you test .. if you have the fuel tank open and one of those leads causes a spark ... good bye world :)

:floor:

Demort said:

Surely no one is dumb enough to do that when there is a jump point in the engine compartment you can power the car up from? :dont know:

I once set my sisters car on fire with her and my mate in it checking a fuel leak with a lighter :oops:

Nooooo wont be using jump leads, my stupid days are over (i think) :?:
just want to see if the connections are secure and excercise them if they are removable.
I am getting a reading that is a quarter of a tank low, but it can jump up occasionally and then drop back i suspect the sender but hope it might be a poor connection.

(Not that stupid) Steve

Mine reads low all the time. When the light comes on I've still 4 gallon in the tank. One thing I've never solved on my car.

just had a look at some pictures looks quite an easy job, looks like you can remove the sender unit and check it out of the tank, there appears to be connections to the fuel pump not sure if these are electrical or fuel

Any body removed the sender with the tank in situ :?:

alex yates said:
Mine reads low all the time. When the light comes on I've still 4 gallon in the tank. One thing I've never solved on my car.

On a C4 it calculates the last amount of fuel due to the saddles , which is setup by doing a calibrate routine .. basically you tell the car how much fuel is in the tank when the gauge is at a set point.

Has to be done with a tester though.

poppopbangbang said:
Demort said:

Surely no one is dumb enough to do that when there is a jump point in the engine compartment you can power the car up from? :dont know:

I pointed it out as i did actually , although many years ago , see a mechanic about to attempt just that .. powered at rear is ok as long as the + lead is taped up .. but basically anything with fuel and the chance of a spark scares me !!! even after all these years.

steve1 said:
just had a look at some pictures looks quite an easy job, looks like you can remove the sender unit and check it out of the tank, there appears to be connections to the fuel pump not sure if these are electrical or fuel

Any body removed the sender with the tank in situ :?:

I would expect its a sender fault , have a look at this pict of the parts , it pretty much shows what to do ..

http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=2539&MAK=3&MDL=25&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

lid off , un clip a few pipes and lift out .. a bit of a fiddle and youll probably get covered in petrol !

Carefull when refitting that the sender doesn,t foul any pipes or youll get false readings.

No I was not going to power it up, If I could remove it I could check the potentiometer with an ohmmeter

Chris_in_the_UK said:
Demort said:

:floor:
Is it wrong that I found that incredibly funny!? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back