Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 turbo slave cylinder?

lingus75

Hi, I have a 997.1 turbo on a 56 plate. During its mot it was noted that the under tray had fluid on it. It was traced back to the clutch reservoir in the front appearing to overflow. I have done a bit of research as this would point to the clutch slave potentially on its way out?

However, I have no symptoms of any other issues. No cold start problems with pedal, accumulator seems fine as pedal only goes really hard after 25 pumps, then after idling for 20seconds and engine off pedal again is fine for another 25 pumps.

All gears engage with no issues, apart from usual stiffness into 2nd as short shift fitted.

I have no idea how long this has been going on for, but car was serviced last year and it wasn't there then, frankly I wouldn't have known about it now if I hadn't been looking underneath when it was on the ramp!

Will I be doing any other damage if I leave it till I experience the usual problems with failing slave? Or will this result in damage to other areas (by the way fluid level when cold is exactly on max in reservoir)?

Thanks in advance.

Your pretty much there , its a pressure seal that fails inside the clutch slave cyl and allows high pressure to back feed on the low pressure side , as you say the accumilator is fine.

To leave it though .. hmm .. its fed from the power steering resevoir so if the fluid gets too low you will have a noisy pump and poor steering , if you keep an eye on the power steering fluid lvl then you could leave it for now but you will still have fluid leaking out the clutch bottle ... the fluid that leaks ( pentosin ) is corrosive to rubber .. if it gets on any rubber pipes it will basically rot them so i think thats a bit more of a problem to be honest.

You may well have diagnosed this correctly but one other thing worth checking is simply the security of the plastic cap onto the reservoir itself.
I also had this problem on my .1tt (clutch working as it should with no other issues) it turned out the plastic thread on the cap had stretched meaning that it couldn't be sealed down properly onto the reservoir without jumping back up again.
£55 bought me a new reservoir & cap which i fitted myself. Problem solved :D
Cheap fix if your lucky.

Demort said:
Your pretty much there , its a pressure seal that fails inside the clutch slave cyl and allows high pressure to back feed on the low pressure side , as you say the accumilator is fine.

To leave it though .. hmm .. its fed from the power steering resevoir so if the fluid gets too low you will have a noisy pump and poor steering , if you keep an eye on the power steering fluid lvl then you could leave it for now but you will still have fluid leaking out the clutch bottle ... the fluid that leaks ( pentosin ) is corrosive to rubber .. if it gets on any rubber pipes it will basically rot them so i think thats a bit more of a problem to be honest.

Well, I will certainly get it looked at then. I dont recall any issues at all with noisy or poor steering so that all seems fine. I will get some pentosin fluid and make sure levels are all good. Then try and get the car in the air and remove some of the undertray to have a look, 'squidge' the steering gaitors etc, to make sure no fluid retained in them.

Then to try and get OPC to match Indy rates on repair!

To be honest its an easy job for any indy to do so if OPC is not exactly the same price then use an indy.

OPC will probably do a VHC while their at it and give you a list of work that also needs doing !

Hmmm, opc want £1150!! Does include accumulator also, but blimey.... They are looking to get a revised quote to me though when I mentioned the Indy rate.

Well, they did say its usual practice. Before you laugh,they are seeing if they can get down to the Indy rate. Let's give the benefit of the doubt as I have always had good work done by Swindon OPC.

I always get frustrated when the people on the frontline who get paid the least care, then those who look at us as a number(s) shrug their shoulders and present bills like this.

I really think Porsche need to tap further into the enthusiast as when financial markets take the next wobble were all paid up no finance customers!!

OPC,s used to be much better , there was a time when customer service came first , unfortunatly over the years the dealers ended up being run by accountants that expect an increase in profit year on year.

In a service department with a set number of mechanics the profits will peak as there is only so much work .. then it becomes a case of pushing the mechanics harder to either find work ( VHC ) or work faster hence bonus .. not easy to sell 8 hours of work a day when you are only there for 8 but thats expected these days.

Now imagine a mechanic thats just had a difficult diagnosis job and has just lost 3 hours .. he needs to make that time up or get payed less bonus .. so what do you think his next 3 jobs will be like !

I was proud to work in an opc but I watched My OPC change over the years and how we seemed to be more profit focusted than servive focusted and i finally gave up and left.

Im still think the actual mechanics do a marvelous job but they have been removed to a large degree with customer contact and are under a lot of pressure .

Btw service advisors get a bonus depending on how much they sell ... standard practise to change an acumilator .... hmmmm

The above is of course .. IMHO .

Demort said:

Well, slave was replaced, accumulator was not. I reasoned that as it was working as it should it would be wasting money. However, I seem to still have a leak :( Is it possible that the accumulator could cause the leak? I would be very surprised as it seems to be working perfectly as per previous posts, and I dont think a faulty accumulator would have anything to do with pentosin leaking?

The pentosin level is 1/2 on the cold marker and the cap was a bit wet. Now, I assume the indy would have filled to max on the cold line, and cleaned the cap, so hopefully they didn't do either (unlikely as they were really good) and it will be fine...

What else could it be if its still leaking? The indy had the car running on the ramp for ages, engaging gears etc... although there was a lot of oil on the under tray they couldn't replicate the leak.

You say the indy after they had fitted the slave checked and couldn,t find a leak ?

I would suggest draining a bit of pentosin out of the front clutch bottle so that it shows below max , then seeing if over a few days the lvl rises back up to the max .. that would prove that the system is still being pressurised.

Also have a good look at the lid seal and bottle just to make sure they are not leaking .. i doubt it but you never know.

Its possible that there is oil that has still not drained away .. in a chamber perhaps and that is what you are seeing .. doing the above check first would prove this though.

Its not going to be the accumilator IMHO its more likely to be the power steering pump / resevoir although that normally causes a noise when the valves start to fail, and a bit unusual but possible .

Its normal if no noises from pump to change the slave first as this will have failed and it is the cheaper item out of the 2.

The work was done at a Porsche indy ? only asking as i would have thought they had come across this problem before.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back