Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aston Martin V8 vantage?

Ryad58

Hi guys, I need your help.
My colleague is thinking of buying a V8 vantage, after a 20 min chat with me, he's still considering it :dont know:

As a 997 owner i think Porsche wins overall. But the styling and the roar of the vantage can't be denied...

I appreciate i may not get a totally unbiased view here, but do you have any tips i can share with him? Did anyone consider the Vantage, looked into it, test drove one, then opted for a Porsche?

Cheers.

PeterS can tell you about them. He was not a fan of the auto box. Lavazza has a manual one which I have driven a fair amount and enjoy. It is all about the look and the sound.

MC

I think that asking this on a Porsche forum will have in-built bias. There will be Porsche owners who had an AM and did not like it, those that did like it but wanted a different driving experience and finally those that are indifferent and simply describe these as a "very different car".

The same can be said for Ferrari, Maserati etc.

Personally, I looked into it briefly before I bought the Porsche. Lovely car, great sound and looks. I drove an auto and I'm not a fan of auto in a sports car (as per my signature) in any case. But I discovered:
(a) Taking it outside of main dealer history means values plummet and trying to offload it is difficult.
(b) There are not as many indys who can look after these cars as Porsche (owing to overall smaller number of cars?)
(c) Long term reliability is a bit up-and-down depending on who you speak to (just as with Porsche cars)

I hope your friend makes what is the right decision for him based on his research, test drive experience and budget.

I had a V8 Vantage roadster,

An absolutely stunning car, turned heads where-ever we went, gorgeous trim.

Ruined by the shittiest gearbox ever invented. You would click the paddle shift and the car would say "I hear what your telling me, and if in the next ten minutes I feel like changing gear I will do, but it wont be smooth"

Looked great, sounded great. The end.

Just as with Porsche's, manual AM's are few and far between.
Seems anyone who has it holds on to it. The autos come up for sale often - maybe reflecting your experience PeterS?

As I stated, auto box on these cars is out the question for me.

If the OP's friend wants to talk to an AM indy, there is one in Macclesfield Cheshire - Google it and it will come up in a search. Seem straight talking guys with AM main Dealer experience of servicing them (AM Stratstone Wilmslow I think)

I wanted one, but at 6'6" I was too tall for the manual version. Auto's at the cheaper end are rare. Dealers want £10k margin on them, so still expensive to buy. Bit like a Bentley GT, don't buy without main dealer warranty.

It will probably be my next car after buying a house, or perhaps the Bentley 8)

We looked at a Vantage before the Porsche lots for and lots against the service cost looked astronomic :eek: ,the 911 is an every day Super Car come rain come shine to me its as simple as that ,been reading road tests about the new 981 Boxster many critics claim its the best soft top in the world under £100 k enough said for me Porsche all the way :thumb:

Ryad58 said:
Hi guys, I need your help.
My colleague is thinking of buying a V8 vantage, after a 20 min chat with me, he's still considering it :dont know:

As a 997 owner i think Porsche wins overall. But the styling and the roar of the vantage can't be denied...

I appreciate i may not get a totally unbiased view here, but do you have any tips i can share with him? Did anyone consider the Vantage, looked into it, test drove one, then opted for a Porsche?

Cheers.

The stars recently aligned for me which freed up some dosh for my first really decent/tasty car. Always wanted a 911 turbo since I was a kid but I had a good look round before I made my move. A DB9 (amongst other stuff) was firmly on the radar. When all said and done the 911 turbo was a no brainer. Factor in reliability, performance, residuals and service costs. 911 it is then! Buuut.... you pays your money and take your choice! :thumbs:

A few nuggets in here, oddly enough, from two ex owners.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=110912

As I see it;
Pros- V8 noise, drop dead gorgeous looks, interior style, exclusivity.
Cons- running and parts costs, build quality, only 2 seats, relatively poor value, conspicuous.

Funnily enough I was reading an Evo twin test from '06 vs a 997S. The vantage acquitted itself very well.

I was drooling over a customers AM V8 last week.They really do look and sound fantastic!

kas750 said:
I was drooling over a customers AM V8 last week.They really do look and sound fantastic!

True, they look and sound the dogs bollox. My best mate bought a DB9 new, a gorgeous car. Cab, black, cream leather. Lovely.

But it was a pain in the arse to the very end 4 years later. The last straw for him was driving down to Monaco then spending the entire week there driving about in a Ford Focus whilst the DB9 was getting fixed.

And the final sting for ownership was selling it. He lost a shed load in depreciation.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back