Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

To import from Dubai ? I'm lost.

notlaw

I have an option to import my brother 2002 911 turbo to the UK. 35k miles stunning condition.

The total cost getting it to England will be including taxes £15k. Im aware that's a crazy price for a great car....... however, will I have a huge problem when I come to sell it.

Anyone any idea?

It does seem a little too good to be true, I know the car and it really is as good as you can get - but obviously LHD.

Attachments

• img_14963_497.jpg
    img_14963_497.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 12,040
:welcome: to 911uk

Obviously you will have a severely limited market for it when you come to sell but I'm pretty sure you won't lose money if you can get it on the road for anything under £20k.

Bring it over and enjoy plenty of 'free' :grin:s :thumb:

Thanks for the reply, so would the private sale price be around £20k for this car? I have seen clean UK spec cars with full history retail about £45k?

I'm just trying to work out if I could buy it use it for a bit then sell for a profit, everyone is happy then. :D

notlaw said:
Thanks for the reply, so would the private sale price be around £20k for this car? I have seen clean UK spec cars with full history retail about £45k?

I'm just trying to work out if I could buy it use it for a bit then sell for a profit, everyone is happy then. :D

Research it thoroughly. And I mean tiny weeny small print thoroughly. If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.
I know a chap that won a Lambo Gallardo from Dubai airport (bought a raffle ticket, jammy bar steward) but the pain to get it to the UK was huge. 50k huge and the car was desert spec with huge rads and AC compressors. He ended up flogging it to a local arab at 60k below list. Ker ching....

notlaw said:

I'm sure you'd make a profit but I don't know what the market for a LHD car is like in the UK. My point was that it's definitely worth £20K+ but beyond that .... :dont know:

As others have said, mainland Europe would be your best sales market.

notlaw

A potential good dilemma to be in!!! I have never imported a car but have purchased cars from Belgium and France before.

Firstly, Dependent on where in Dubai, it will be full of sand and i mean it, everywhere, intercoolers, engine nooks and crannies, everywhere. SO factor a deep valet and some parts either to be removed and/or replaced. Remember sand is corrosive??? Check the car for what the spec or regional items may be intalled over a "euro" spec car.

Speak to an importer to leverage their experience before you do anything

Now i say GO FOR IT if shipping costs and any taxes are not going to push it above £22k. Enjoy for however long you want and then sell in mainland europe or just take it to a show in mainland europe and sell it direct, i imagine you should not have too much difficulty selling a LHD motor

I hae seen a few 996 turbos in Germany for Euro 26k upwards but obviously do not know the conditioon or spec

Hell....for £15k i might buy it and drive the ***** back,,,,that would be fun. its gotta be worth that as a breaker ? If the engine is strong, remove it and build a 3.8 or 3.9/4.0 monster with some big turbos!!!!!

GOODLUCK

Goodluck

Just read it again - £15k to get it to the UK

Do it man !!!

Only point to mention is it will have to pass a UK mot so fog lights on right side must work and headlamps will need altering , im not sure off hand if its just a lever on a 996 or a new set of headlamps.

I seem to rember doing an American car once and it had to have new headlights.

Many thanks for all the comments, I have found very helpful.

I will bring the car over, full service history and like new. My brother said there are more out there... I will let you know all the good and bad points when I have done it! :thumb:

£15k including the purchase price of the car? If that's the case I'll take one :)

Cars under 10 years old require an IVA which will require the headlights to be changed to RHD and the rh foglight wired up.

Cars over 10 years old can legally pass an MOT with the headlamps in the touring position but (according to the technical advisor from VOSA) will need to be changed to RHD lamps within 12 months. This is all covered by the MOT testers guidlines and the statutory instrument for vehicle lighting.

Sadly, policing statutory instruments is virtually non existant and allows some cars to slip through the net.

Common sense says use RHD lamps in RHD countries. Replacement new Litronic units can cost £2k.

Get the car, get some second hand lamps, simples!

Cheers, Keith.

Thanks Keith, noted. I suspect the reason why there are not more imports from Dubai is because you don't know who to trust and it's a bit of hassle just fly over and look at a car.

My thoughts after taking note of all the help posted on here, if it's a tidy car and I can get it to the UK for under £20k I can't hopefully go wrong :?:

I've been looking in detail at 996 GT3 cars and by far the best condition car I have seen is a Dubai car. No evidence at all underneath of any rust.

Fantastic condition, just be sure the car has been well looked after.

Good luck, Keith.

Look into registration - I thought you could get a certificate of conformity rather than IVA? Might be as easy as that.

RHD headlamps from ebay (keep hold of the LHD). Check the speedo is marked in MPH - again fairly easy fix to disassemble the clocks and swap a kph inlay for a mph inlay.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back