Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 Paint Protection Film

Andy787

Hi all,

Well finally taken the plunge and ordered a 991.2 C2S :D

What are peoples thoughts on PPF, such as Armafend? Any recommendations etc appreciated.

cheers
Andy

Hi
Congrats on the new car and FWIW, I have just had a glass-out respray on my 996T by FastLane and decided to go with a friend's recommendation to have Suntek Ultra - self healing. he had it on his 997GT3RS and 458 and was very impressed.

I'm having the whole front (bumpers/wings/bonnet), sills, A-pillars and behind the rear wheels covered in approx. 3 weeks' time. 3 days' work apparently

HTH
:thumb:

Go for Suntek . They are thinner and seems to be doing well. Paint shield would be the place to do it , some discount for forum members.

Cool, thanks chaps I'll look into those.

Was a long process but got there in the end. Id ordered a 991.1 GTS May last year but was royally messed about by the opc so told them to stuff it, two weeks before delivery they said it had been delayed 4-5months...
So i went to another OPC, Reading to be precise, what a difference in service..I drove a C2S two weeks ago and was blown away..whilst i'll give you that the new 3.0turbo doesn't sound quite as good as the old 3.8 at full chat, but the extra torque and the urge that it brings is addictive. Seems much more usable power, I like the new steering wheel and paddles too.
Ticked the boxes, PDK, Sport chrono, sports exhaust, rear wheel steer, 14 way heated seats, glass sunroof..in GT silver with black/red leather....cant wait to be honest...

Slayer said:
Go for Suntek . They are thinner and seems to be doing well. Paint shield would be the place to do it , some discount for forum members.

+1

I went for Paint Shield, very impressed.

pzero said:
Slayer said:

+1

How much do they charge? Topaz is pretty expensive...

apollokre1d said:
pzero said:
Slayer said:

+1

How much do they charge? Topaz is pretty expensive...

£1680 for full front cover, that's PU, bonnet, wings and wing mirrors.
Five year warranty on product and fitting.
As Slayer says, they use Suntek. From what I can gather the Suntek product is very highly regarded, various companies use it. What sets Paint Shield apart is the application process. You get what you pay for.
If you do go down the Paint Shield route, give your eyes a treat when you're there, some exotica to be seen.
Similar to Topaz I imagine.

I've often wondered this... I had an RS6 and with the flared wings, that had an OEM film applied, but with the stone chips received, it soon became quite noticeable in its contrast. I've been having a look at for mine, but from speaking with a few people, they advised to accept the fact that you're going to get stone chips, and for the cost of films, you can get some serious paintwork done.

At the moment, I plan to stay unprotected and maintain decent wax. Welcome other peoples experience.

6appeal said:
I've often wondered this... I had an RS6 and with the flared wings, that had an OEM film applied, but with the stone chips received, it soon became quite noticeable in its contrast. I've been having a look at for mine, but from speaking with a few people, they advised to accept the fact that you're going to get stone chips, and for the cost of films, you can get some serious paintwork done.

At the moment, I plan to stay unprotected and maintain decent wax. Welcome other peoples experience.

I've thought that also (cost of the film vs fixing the paint) but my thinking would be with the film you keep the paint somewhat original and I would feel better seeing the film ruined (whilst doing its job) and not the paint?

I'm sure someone else will see it from another angle :)

Yeah, I used to be quite obsessed on "original" paint... but having had a few decent cars and had paintwork done on them, I've got over it, as you really can't tell. Films can't protect everything; i had a brand new car and on day three of ownership a car on opposite carriageway had a big chunk of trim fly off, which kindly hit my bonnet, windscreen and roof. How delightful.

6appeal said:
Films can't protect everything; i had a brand new car and on day three of ownership a car on opposite carriageway had a big chunk of trim fly off, which kindly hit my bonnet, windscreen and roof.

That's another good point actually.

+1 for Paintshield..

I'd rather have paint protection film fitted once than having my car repainted every 6 months / year.. My car is my daily and I do approx 30,000 miles p/a.. Car off the road = money and inconvienience.. Do it once,do it properly.. :wink: Yes it maybe a lot of money,but what would you rather, "Sh*t,my bonnet/wing/bumper!!" and continued paint jobs or "Thank f**k I had paint protection film fitted.."

pzero said:
£1680 for full front cover, that's PU, bonnet, wings and wing mirrors.
Five year warranty on product and fitting.

How does it work if your paint already has a few small scratches or even stone chips on it? I expect they would want that fixed before the protection film goes on?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back