Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aguri Skyway GPS/radar/laser speed trap detector

s2000db

Sao Paulo
d0dc61c849a1265f8d5ce56dab5569ff_zps7v1l7bzx.jpg

Bought this last week for £129.99 from Amazon, after a very favourable review in this months Evo magazine.

I've used radar/laser detectors in the past, as well as the GPS types, so to have both types of detection in one box, was a distinct advantage.

Out of the box its plug and play, with an easy windscreen suction mount. There's clear audible spoken warnings of hazards ahead, and all of the functions and various radar bands are configurable, it all seems to work well, but I haven't been zapped by a laser yet, to tell how well that works!

One downside, and it is minor, is that it supposedly comes with the latest camera database installed, however checking the version, it was dated Sept 15. A quick download via PC/Mac soon had the latest one installed, as well as two firmware updates, which vastly improved the GPS lock on speed (now instantaneous!). Now dated 26th Feb.

All in all great value for money, and free for life camera database updates, what's there not to like?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014RB4LAW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Good one! :thumb:

Btw the last time I got caught speeding was 1992! :bye:

GPs /radar/laser

Dana , looks like a good piece of kit

Think I will be ordering one of those also :thumb:

s2000db said:
Good one! :thumb:

Btw the last time I got caught speeding was 1992! :bye:

Dec 2014. M1 variable speed limit. Resulted in a 'Speed Awareness Course' in Ealing (rather than points). And which I rather sadly quite enjoyed. :oops:

I looked into this subject ba while back and concluded to remain with my garmin sat nav (considerably dearer at around £150 with lifetime map and traffic updates) as it lists fixed cameras as well as commonly used laser sites.

How does this unit of yours compare to other products such as Road Angel and Snooper (other than price).

The research I carried out was that by the time laser is detected, the speed has already been captured (unless it detects laser scatter from another vehicle). But one of the commonest traps is to site a hand-held or car mounted laser camera around a blind bend as the offending vehicle comes straight into the cross-hairs so minimising scatter detection.

But if it saves you on some occasions, then all well and good.

I think I may need to invest as well. Lost my licence in 1994 ("cruising" along at a steady 113mph average speed blissfully unaware a police car was behind me with its lights on :lol:) but had a clean licence since 1999. I can see that changing though...

cheshire911 said:
I looked into this subject ba while back and concluded to remain with my garmin sat nav (considerably dearer at around £150 with lifetime map and traffic updates) as it lists fixed cameras as well as commonly used laser sites.

How does this unit of yours compare to other products such as Road Angel and Snooper (other than price).

The research I carried out was that by the time laser is detected, the speed has already been captured (unless it detects laser scatter from another vehicle). But one of the commonest traps is to site a hand-held or car mounted laser camera around a blind bend as the offending vehicle comes straight into the cross-hairs so minimising scatter detection.

But if it saves you on some occasions, then all well and good.

I'm not sure, but I think that the Aguri covers all bases possible, radar, laser and GPS database sites, whereas the others have one of the above missing??
Also the database updates are free and without subscription..

Jamie - now you have mentioned it, you have the curse! watch out for speeding into the next blind bend or hill in case a guys has you in his cross-hairs of a laser gun.

On a more practical note, a good sat nav will give you fixed camera locations as well as laser hot-spots. It probably cannot give the new style gantry cameras on the motorways on the far left hand side and almost inconspicuous, but motorway speeding is always risky with viewing points everywhere.

So this takes care of the fixed camera stuff. I'd say that it is pretty bad luck to be done by a fixed camera - or the driver should have gone to specsavers.

It is probably a bigger risk getting done by a hand-held or in-car laser camera, and from what I can make out, by the time your detector goes off, you've already been done (save for the odd occasion with scatter from other cars).

So I TRY to avoid speeding into a blind (empty road) corner on my side of the road in case there is a camera there. And you know what, the instances when I have made a conscientious decision to do this, there has sometimes been a camera round the corner or at the apex of a hill pointing his cross-hairs at me as I come around a bend on an upward gradient. This may be something to bear in mind.

Haha I'm actually waiting at the minute - was flashed two weeks ago tomorrow.

The thing with our cars, you put your foot down a little bit, a slight lapse in concentration and in an instant you can be in strife...

And in a Turbo it is blisteringly quicker than a NA car

How does this one cope with built up areas where radar is concerned, or can that be disabled?

I'm just glad I didn't pay for the radar detector I tried years ago as it was one false alarm after another..it was a freebie that came with a GPS, so it ended up at the back of a cupboard..

Jamie© said:
Haha I'm actually waiting at the minute - was flashed two weeks ago tomorrow.

The thing with our cars, you put your foot down a little bit, a slight lapse in concentration and in an instant you can be in strife...

If you didn't receive a letter on the tenth working day or before !
Tell them where to go :hand:

Graemep said:
How does this one cope with built up areas where radar is concerned, or can that be disabled?

I'm just glad I didn't pay for the radar detector I tried years ago as it was one false alarm after another..it was a freebie that came with a GPS, so it ended up at the back of a cupboard..

There's a three level filter which works to minimise background alert...
Level 2 seems to be about right..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back