Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

o2 sensor on C2 1991 tip

jlee

Monza
Folks,

I think i need to replace the catalytic converted/silencer box (bullet shaped box) on the left side of the engine.

there is an 02 sensor nearby but mine seems to have no wire coming out of it?

Did my mechanic miss something when they were fixing the engine last time round ?

car is 1991 c2 tip

What is in the hole where the O2 sensor should be? Cant see the point of running a cat without a sensor. Even de cat I kept the sensor although it can be bridged iirc.

Ras62,

sorry, should have explained a bit more.

there is an 02 sensor in it now but no wires soming from the sensor - seemed to be snipped off.

The cat had a small hole in and was welded to close it bloke ponted out the o2 sensor had no wire - just wondered why there was an 02 sensor with snipped wire - is this bypass

Does it need the o2 sensor/cat to pass emissions test or fine without ? ddi not know it can be decatted. excuse my ignorance on this topic :)

Cheers

Its hard to say what you have, can you post up a pic?
Cat bypass often look like a straight piece of exhaust but some bulge as you say in a bullet shape although not as big as an original cat. It sounds like yours is still running a cat. If you car is working well as it is then I assume the O2 signal has been linked out either in the engine bay at the connector or under the passenger seat. Cat bypass is a nice mod, releases a bit more power and a slightly louder exhaust note.

If you've no O2/Lambda sensor in the cat then I'm surprised the engine is running smoothly when it's warm? They may have tweaked the fuel mix to compensate so it could be running very rich.

When my sensor failed on a cold engine I managed to get a mile down the road before it started kangarooing, misfiring etc. Put a new one in and all sorted.

The connector plug is on a wire behind the rear heater van and is a complete PITA to connect up with the fan in place.

This is the picture of the exhaust (cat section?)

If this is the cat, and the 02 sensor is in the hole with no wires..... and its runs strong......does this mean it has bypass fitted or does not need the catalytic converter.

car runs perfectly.

the o2 sensor was pointed out when the cat section had a small hole blow and was then welded.

Attachments

• catporsche_173.jpg
    catporsche_173.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 4,589
That is the original catalyser. If its running well I would leave it. The O2 signal may have been linked out to fool the DME, that would be either at the O2 connector behind the rear blower or under the passenger seat close to the DME unit.

:agree:
You can pick up a new Lambda sensor for just shy of £100. I'd get a de-cat pipe off of Ebay whilst you at it. I would guess the plug behind the engine fan has a little link wire in to fool the ecu. I like Zingers had all kinds of cutting out when my sensor failed. With an new one installed it was like night and day. Try and get a Bosh one if you can.

pulls strong and idles perfectly so perhaps has the bypass clip thing already

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back