Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Torque Wrench Settings

mzmini

Barcelona
Sorry to ask a daft question but putting new front disc's and pad's in this weekend and hope that someone may know what torque settings for the wheel nuts are please . My local indie quoted around 500 + VAT got the whole lot at Carparts 4 Less £235 inc VAT ,discs +pads and sensors
thanks in anticipation
MZ mini

Both my 987 Boxster S and the 996 handbooks say 130Nm :thumb:

Yep 130Nm :thumb:

mzmini said:
Sorry to ask a daft question but putting new front disc's and pad's in this weekend and hope that someone may know what torque settings for the wheel nuts are please . My local indie quoted around 500 + VAT got the whole lot at Carparts 4 Less £235 inc VAT ,discs +pads and sensors
thanks in anticipation
MZ mini

You`ll have to remove the calipers/caliper bolts to change the disks, these bolts should also be replaced with new ones and torqued up correctly to 85Nm :thumb:

Thanks all outstanding as per usual :worship:

I used my old calipers bolts, not an issue according to my mechanic garage owning buddy, I did the work at his garage.

Regarding the caliper mounting bolts, you are told by Porsche to replace them each time they are removed due to them being stretch bolts.

I used to change them every time until I checked one set once and found they didn't stretch, I measured the length of old and new and found them to be the same. I've re-used the same bolts for the last couple of years now.

The only issue could be that they may corrode and seize or if you over tighten they may stretch the threads.

I have never changed them before myself when changing discs :eek:

infrasilver said:
Regarding the caliper mounting bolts, you are told by Porsche to replace them each time they are removed due to them being stretch bolts.

I used to change them every time until I checked one set once and found they didn't stretch, I measured the length of old and new and found them to be the same. I've re-used the same bolts for the last couple of years now.

The only issue could be that they may corrode and seize or if you over tighten they may stretch the threads.

My local indy has said they are not an issue unless you are heavily tracking/running a race car.

infrasilver said:

Apparently they have a coating on the threads to stop the dissimilar metals of the bolt and wheel carrier from combining and seizing, which is removed on extraction, also a second coating of thread-locking compound, which is also removed on extraction.

Personally, I`d go with what Porsche say :thumb:

kurlykris said:
infrasilver said:

Apparently they have a coating on the threads to stop the dissimilar metals of the bolt and wheel carrier from combining and seizing, which is removed on extraction, also a second coating of thread-locking compound, which is also removed on extraction.

Personally, I`d go with what Porsche say :thumb:

Personally i would put a bit of anti seize stuff on and ignore the guff.

I have removed all my callipers 3 times in the last 3 years - reused the same bolts but used some anti seize compound on refit.Had absolutely no issues whatsoever.

^^^^^^^Chris speaks the truth :judge: ^^^^^^^

Fair enough if they are cheap enough, I have never priced them ?

Anti seize paste and a dollop of suitable loctite............sorted.

Porsche tax methinks
:wink:

@ £1.40 each, I`d prefer my calipers to stay where they should be at 170 mph :D

Will cost you more for a tube of anti-seize and a bottle of loctite :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back