Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant Confusion (Sorry in advance!) Newb-Q!

herogenous

Apologies for what I know is an old old old old topic, but my head is literally melting with all the conflicting info on coolant.. So I bit the bullet and bought this - wanting to play it safe (and minimal cost diff anyway...)

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod1...Long-Life-5-Year-Red-00004330103-00004330147/

But now on the bottle it says "containing silicon" .... which I thought was NOT what I wanted after reading lots of confusing stuff.

Really, what I want to know is, as standard, is this ok for my '03 C4S (assuming it's not been flushed and changed..)

Cheers! (and sorry!)

I can recommend Prestone concentrate antifreeze as a compatible top-up and that will serve fine as a stop gap...

http://www.tesco.com/direct/prestone-antifreeze-coolant-1-ltr/371-8701.prd

Is there anything in your service history or paperwork to suggest the coolant has ever been changed? Only reason I ask is because what's in there is now very old and I would have it throughly drained and changed as these engines are hard on the cooling system and the systems design isn't good.

If you do have the coolant changed, have the water pump checked for play and fit a low temp thermostat regardless of if yours is a 3.4 or 3.6 engine as it will remove some strain. Additionally I'm a believer in a stronger mix and run with 60% antifreeze / 40% water

:thumb:

Cheers Harv,

No there is nothing to suggest it's been changed and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's running the original coolant (topped up with God knows what!)... I guess the best thing to do, as you say is get it flushed...

Out of interest, that link I put up.... Is that actually the correct stuff anyway? Assuming no change?!

I actually had the LTT fitted last year but presume this didn't require a full flush?

Re running stronger mix: is that to try and prevent boiling round cylinder walls and bore scoring etc? I was wondering what the balance would be between heat transfer ability of water vs boiling resistance of coolant ...... Interested in the science! :)

Many thanks for the advice!

Ah ok that's a bit more info.

Who did the LTT work as that would have required draining 3/4 of the system and they may have attempted to empty the front rads and pipes by raising the front end above the rear with the system open. Can you call and enquire what the system was filled with?

The link looks to be for the Porsche brand coolant but don't get too hung up on it.

I used Comma Super Longlife Red which is OAT and perfectly suitable if starting with an empty system.

Yes I have gone with a mix ratio favouring concentrate to try and combat boiling around the cylinder walls and you can find graphical mix ratio data online. You can't go too concentrated though as from memory above about 65% concentrate the benefits are lost as system efficient is reduced.

Try this article

http://hellafunctional.com/?p=629

I wanted to use the Evans waterless coolant but the cost is extreme in our cars due to the capacity of the system, and also what happens if you need to top it up and don't have a bottle avail??

:thumb:

Cheers Harv, great info.. It was Cavendish Porsche in the midlands, so yes, good call! I'll give them a buzz.. I had no idea they would have had to drain so much out - but it makes sense - (I guess it's actually a good thing for me in terms of fresh coolant!)

I was also thinking of going waterless, but like you am hesitant on both cost and topping up practicality... Mind you, I always drive around with a bottle of oil in the frunk, so I suppose I could just have a bottle of the coolant too. I'll probably do it one day..

I do like the idea of taking corrosion, conduction and high pressure totally out of the equation - but the car has more pressing concerns first I think.. got a bit of rust on the arches which is being sorted in a few weeks (full front end respray to sort out stone chips etc too).. like I said... this week is really getting expensive! :sad: :sad:

Thanks for the help and info!.. I'll stop rambling now and pretend to do some work instead... :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back