Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dont ever want to sell my 911, but...... advice please

Shandythegreat

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all,

So ive had my 996 for a year now, its my daily driver and so in love with it. don't think ive fallen for a car as much as my race car, as I usually change my mind after 6 months.

I use my 911 for everything, from the school run to weekend beach holidays and the yearly family centre parcs trip to the Eifel mountains, coupled with a few cheeky laps of the Ring. Its never asked for anything, and just had its service at the local OPC. Its going to be purring for many many years to come.

So my dilemma, I have two toddlers which spend a lot of their time in the back of it. they are now 1.5 and 3.5 years and growing legs much faster than I originally intended!!!

I was hoping to get 2 - 3 years or more out of it before they outgrew it but alas I fear the worst, certainly no 997 C2S and for their comfort sake id need to sell this summer already. The only way I could keep it is if its a weekend car but then id have to sell the race car to make space in the garage.

So the advice part after all the whaffle and my life story! What the heck could I replace it with!!!! :dont know:

Ive looked at things like the C6 RS6 avant, C63 AMG, V8 M3, V8 S5 etc just wondering if any of you have had a similar situation and what did you look at moving to. I want something exciting for the daily drive, but not be an absolute money pit & a pain to work on etc.

Ill get another 911, one day, once the kids move out!

Thank you so much in advance!

Andy

:frustrated:

Andy,

If you can run a race car, have two kids (and a wife and house presumably)and all the trappings (and cost) that go with it. Keep the 996, buy a cheap to insure small car, a few years old, to run the kids around in (Renault clio, Citroen C3 etc) that you wouldn't worry about if it got scratched etc and still use the Porsche when the kids are not there.... I saved for years to buy mine (6 year old 997.1) and didn't get it until I was 59. All those years of longing and no pleasure.

My son 28 turned up a couple of months later in a new-ish BMW Z4 saying he took "my" advice not to wait too long to get your dream car. If it doesn't work out you can always sell it (the renault) and get most of your money back. Go for it...life's too short.

John

If you really fancy a change... these are what I'd be trying-

- BMW M3 V8
- Alpina B3S
- Jag XFR
- Audi RS5

You have a bit of time yet, my lad will be 7 in June, he is about 125cm tall and is very happy in the back. If you want something of a similar age I suggest trying an E46 M3, I think they are fantastic cars. 3.2l, 340hp and 8000rpm with rear wheel drive and an LSD. Seats for four and a sensible price. A future classic IMO.

MC

Andy, I have a 997.1 and my two girls are 9 and 10 they still go in the back every where. I might not force a holiday trip on them but that's what enterprise rent a car are for :grin: option 1 sell the 911, option 2 factor in a rental car for my annual holiday or week ends away a couple of times a year. mmmm no brainer for me mate and I am 6ft so its not like the seats way forward or anything just the smallest goes behind me :thumb: KEEP THE 911 MATE . :thumb: :thumbs: :grin:

From what I've read...RS6'S are expensive to repair. C63 estate or M3 for me

Wow thats a lot of great advice! :D thank you!!!

I bought the 911 now while I'm fortunate enough to, while the kids are little as I knew my time was limited. Just gutted to think its so limited..... or so I thought :)

Im also 6ft so the seat is almost all the way back, my smallest goes behind me but her legs are too short to drop - but now long enough to push into the back of my seat. My son sits on the passenger side and the front seat is further forwards giving him more room (my wife is little, lol). Or he rides shot gun on rare trips with the front seat all the way back.

I did think about moving him behind me as he can now go in a booster seat but then his legs wouldn't drop down and the gap is too small.

Is there any more room in the back of a 997??

I like the option of just hiring a nice car for our "proper" family holidays. My wife has the big dirty diesel so I let her have that. Obv don't like taking that to the ring haha!

When I was looking to buy the 911, id always wanted one so bought with my heart rather than my head. I also test drove the S5, E92 & E46 M3's - as they were more family sensible - I just didn't like how big and heavy they felt, quick but boring on the public road. Again I wouldn't be tracking them so no point in the E92.

:floor: HAHA sell the kids!!!!! great idea, then I can get a GT3 RS! wait no, they are rat bags, im still outa pocket lol

May sound obvious but consider bringing your seat a fair bit closer to the wheel to free up more room in the back. Since reading up on track driving that's what's recommended so I moved my seat forward (I'm 6 2") and now much prefer it. :mrgreen:

Its all personal preference on seating position. In my 911 I don't have it too far away but any closer the wheel is in my lap, and its so low which is another pet gripe. Long legs and seat back almost upright. So sadly I cant shimmy any further forward when the kids are in as its just unsafe. :(

On my race car im unusually miles away but feel much more that way than sitting closer and having elbows all over the place. Then again my arse is on the ground and im strapped in :bandit:

Andy, you have touched on the solution "no not sell the kids lol" but try different booster seats in the back , as you reminded me there was a time when legs were too long but too short to bend and I found a booster that allowed the child to sit further forward in the seat (the seat part was shorter than others) allowing legs to bend. you would get the idea if you put a cushion behind one of them in the booster seat. :thumb:

How about...

going a bit sensible as growing kids will be more demanding, and getting a practical hot hatch like Golf R420 or A45 AMG

If not, then get a practical 4 door fast car or estate like

RS4 or perhaps M5 ?

I have the solution to you problem :floor: but seriously have you thought about a panamera as it's effectively a stretched 911

Attachments

• stretch3_702.jpg
    stretch3_702.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 7,231

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back