Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New owner 996 Carrera 2, need help with CR-22 code

MisterCorn

Fuji
I picked up an early Carrera 2 yesterday. 57k miles, good history. It has metropole blue leather, which I don't mind really as it is practically black, but it has the ruffled leather which when worn a bit just doesn't look good. So I am going to swap that all out for black. About an hour in to my journey I stopped for fuel, when I got in there was no power at all, completely dead. I suspected the battery earth strap but with no tools couldn't do anything. The RAC man came along, took it off, cleaned it with his wire brush and refitted it, now it is all fine.
The only issue is that the radio now needs a code and I can't find it in the documentation. Anybody know where I can get this without being fleeced? I might just change the radio for a CDR-22 which I assume would still work with the autochanger, they appear to be cheap enough and I don't really need a tape player.
Here are a couple of pictures taken whilst waiting for the man with the spanners...

MC

Sorry to hear about stereo , I'm sure mine is in service book ,do you know supplying dealer from new as may be able to help.
Nice looking car by the way :thumbs:

Mistercorn

Firstly congrats on the new motor :thumb: she looks very nice - early carrera's seem to be gaining a lot of popularity around here!.

If, as mentioned in the above post the code is not in with the handbooks etc then there is still one more place you can look and one more person you can ask. On the hunt for my codes recently when I sold my nav unit to another "brother of the forum" i found they were missing from the documents in the car. The first thing i did was phone OPC cambridge with my chassis number and reg and they had the radio code but no the nav code which didn't help Jonathon555. I then mentioned it to my local indy, Autowerke when it was in for a service, and he said " if its been PDI'd properly when it was first sold then the codes will have been programmed into the cars ECU and i will be able to read them off there and let you have them" Luckily for Jonathon555 they were logged in the ECU and my Nav unit is now guiding his car......

so OPC first on the phone or failing that get it plugged in and have its brain read....

hope that helps

Toohey

think you can codes off internet if you get serial number off of uint, but you will prob want a cdr22 to replace it anyway. I just bought a really good condition one off e-bay for mine for £100.

Good excuse for an upgrade then :thumb:

MC

Plenty of internet sites will give you the code for about £10 - they just need the model and serial number. Had to do mine recently and all was fine.

PIWIS/Durametric will tell you.

If you haven't already got one, even if you don't wish to spend out on a "proper" cable, just get a Chinese clone off eBay for circa £15.

Yes the free (cracked) software is old, but hey, so is the car!

To be serious, v5.xx is actually 997 compatible.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=73174

RADIO CODE (3rd from bottom):
996_c4_253.png

Thanks GT4, I have a cable from my turbo which I try.

MC

Pull the stereo out and get the serial number off it.

Look on ebay for "becker code"

£3 later and you have it.

The durametric thing only works if the stereo is original to the car. Many of these early 996 / 986 Beckers got "sticky knobs and peeling buttons" so replaced under warranty.

You kept this well hidden MC, she looks sweet :grin:

Shame you had a hiccup on the way home, look forward to seeing her in the flesh if you make the next Meriden Meet :D

I`ll show you mine, if you show me yours :eek:

wasz said:
Pull the stereo out and get the serial number off it.

Look on ebay for "becker code"

£3 later and you have it.

The durametric thing only works if the stereo is original to the car. Many of these early 996 / 986 Beckers got "sticky knobs and peeling buttons" so replaced under warranty.

If they put a tape player back in they need their (playback) head examined!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatandywhite
Back