Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM2 Failure?

4b4

Nurburgring
Hi - having swapped out my battery for a new Bosch S5, it seems I've now no power to the PCM unit. (I mean it won't switch on)

Is there some set up procedure I need to run through or have I fubarred it somehow?

:dont know:

Check the fuses in the main fuse board , if ok then you need to remove the PCM and check the fuse on the rear of it .. its possible there was a voltage spike but unusual , if the leads were at any point reveresed then the pcm fuse will often blow.

If fuse ok then you need to check feeds/earths to the PCM , i cant rember the wire colours off hand but its the black plug , its the thick wires and you should have a permanent feed , an ignition on feed and an earth .. if you have them and the fuse is ok then its not looking good :(

Also unplugging the pcm and leaveing it unplugged for 10 mins or so may .. just may bring it back to life .. disconnecting the battery and leaveing for 10 mins would also have the same effect.

Demort said:
Check the fuses in the main fuse board , if ok then you need to remove the PCM and check the fuse on the rear of it .. its possible there was a voltage spike but unusual , if the leads were at any point reveresed then the pcm fuse will often blow.

If fuse ok then you need to check feeds/earths to the PCM , i cant rember the wire colours off hand but its the black plug , its the thick wires and you should have a permanent feed , an ignition on feed and an earth .. if you have them and the fuse is ok then its not looking good :(

Also unplugging the pcm and leaveing it unplugged for 10 mins or so may .. just may bring it back to life .. disconnecting the battery and leaveing for 10 mins would also have the same effect.

I had, already, had a quick shuftie at the fuse box and D9 (Sound System) had blown, so I replaced it with one of the spare 15A ones, but still no-go.

Can you point me to where the fuse on the rear of the PCM unit itself is? (sorry, I'm an Accountant not an ICE Engineer) :oops:

The PCM unit has its own fuse (round the back).

#E
pcm1_control.gif

Thanks for your input Guys - I'm busy this weekend but will pull the PCM out one day in the week and let you know how I get on :thumb:

Hi Guys - Update

Managed, eventually, to get the PCM Unit out (the bottom right-hand lock tab is a ***** to undo!) and the 10A fuse had also gone, so replaced it & put everything back together.

On firing the unit up Sat Nav worked, but got warning - No Amp, No Radio, No Telephone, No Anything :eek:

Turned it off and left it for about 5 minutes & on re-starting everything came alive :thumb:

Did panic a bit at first though, thinking of how much a complete new system would cost (as it's MOST), but now that cash can go towards a new set of Tyres later this year :clap:

Many thanks Demort and GT4 for your help :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back