Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil temperature measurement

ian_alex

Monza
I intend to fit a VDO gauge and to insert the sender into the sump sidewall (actually the wall of the crankcase).
There looks to be a suitable area at the gearbox end on the opposite half of the crankcase from the oil filter, this area is flat and has reasonable access.
I plan to remove the bottom plate and then drill and tap the sidewall for the sender but before I start it would be very helpful to know the wall thickness of this area to see if it's feasible.
Does anyone have an engine in bits and who would be kind enough to measure wall thickness of this area?
Thanks in anticipation!

Yes this would work but I want to retain the magnetic sump plug and also it's already a low point on the car so a further projection of 10-15 mm could be a problem!
Regards

Thanks Infrasilver, if the thickness is 8mm this would be plenty to drill and tap!
Plan is to fit the gauge in a plate made to fit the space where the CD trays live below the PCM display screen.
Do you know if there is a specific gasket used for the sump plate or is it a sealant bead?
Thanks for the help and look forward to hearing from you about the wall thickness.

ian_alex said:
Thanks Infrasilver, if the thickness is 8mm this would be plenty to drill and tap!
Plan is to fit the gauge in a plate made to fit the space where the CD trays live below the PCM display screen.
Do you know if there is a specific gasket used for the sump plate or is it a sealant bead?
Thanks for the help and look forward to hearing from you about the wall thickness.

The sump is sealed with Loctite 5900 sealant, don't over seal it as it can come off on the inside once squeezed by torquing the sump plate up and get into your oilways causing the crank bearing to be starved.

All very commendable, and this is not to dissuade any spanner-monkeys looking for a weekend project, or the last word in real-time readings.

But in general, just watching the oil pressure drop to 2 bar or less at idle will show op temp has been reached.

Of course, there are other reasons and other temps you may wish to monitor.

I measured the wall thickness today and it is 7mm.

I also looked where would be best to mount the sensor and next to the thermostat housing would be good so the internal part of the sensor doesn't interfere with the sump baffle, oil pick up and the oil separators in the sump.

Here,

Thanks for the information. With a 7mm wall the sensor will protrude 14mm into the sump.
I would like to use a flat surface to allow good sealing with an aluminium washer and the area you suggest is ribbed on the exterior which would make sealing tricky. It might of course be possible to flatten a small area here!
Do you think there is a suitable area at the rear of the sump on the same half of the sump as you suggest? This area is flat and might be accessible from the inside for drilling and tapping as the exterior access is limited to about 7cm.
I have not seen inside a sump so I don't know where the baffles and oil pick up are located, presumably the baffles are attached to the sump base plate?
Thanks for your assistance, much appreciated.

The area I suggested was with the thought that you could make a flat surface, it has loads of room behind the sump wall here.

The rear of the sump is very tight to get a drill in straight and tap because of the IMS, chains and guides and additional casings, if you can get in from the inside it may be possible but I thought all the sump exterior wall was ribbed?

A picture from my engine 1-3 half below with internals removed, search the net for 996 sump and you'll see pictures with everything still fitted, baffle comes out with the sump plate. IIRC the baffle sits close to the sump back wall.

blanking plug

Hi,I
I think there maybe a blanking plug in the block. When i took the car into a garage for some work i mentioned a oil leak coming from the passenger side. The mechanic said it was coming from a blanking plug in the block which is there for the oil side for the x51 mods. Maybe worth looking into.

Re: blanking plug

Bat71 said:
Hi,I
I think there maybe a blanking plug in the block. When i took the car into a garage for some work i mentioned a oil leak coming from the passenger side. The mechanic said it was coming from a blanking plug in the block which is there for the oil side for the x51 mods. Maybe worth looking into.

The only blanking plug I know of is in the head/cam cover area on the nearside top.

Not sure what thread size your sensor is but you can probably get a flat counterbore/countersink to clean off the crosshatch pattern.

Thanks to everybody for the construtive and useful replies esp. Infrasilver for the pics and detailed info.
I will remove the sump plate at the next oil change and make a decision where to fit the sensor or quite possibly take one look and replace the plate immediately and forget the idea!
Will post the outcome in due course.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back