Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil cooler pipes advice please....

Lig

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all,

Just identified a significant oil leak. Basically the outer oil cooler pipe looks like it has been rubbing on the front jacking point and basically worn through... (see image below)..... Is this a common thing? I am thinking maybe it has had a ding at some point as I dont think the pipe should be this close to the jacking point....

I am thinking I will just replace the damaged pipe as it hasn't corroded but am open to suggestions if it is recommended to replace both and the question is should I replace anything else while having the job done such as the thermostat??!!

Any advice gratefully received...

Thanks
Lig.

880982128_o.jpg

Hi Lig,

I've just replaced the oil cooler fan resistor so have the front arch covers off. I've attached a couple of pics which show how my pipes run. The gap on mine between the pipe and the jacking point is about 20mm but from the rear of the inner wing it is only about 3mm, no signs of rubbing.

IMHO I would replace the pipes if they are showing signs of rust. If you haven't had any problems with over heating don't worry about the thermostat although I did have to replace mine last year as it stopped opening at temperature.

Hope this helps.

ATB :)

Attachments

• oil_pipe_pic_809.jpg
    oil_pipe_pic_809.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 1,662
  • oil_pipe_pic_2_601.jpg
    oil_pipe_pic_2_601.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 1,662
Hi Decgraham,

Thanks for your post. I am hoping that the new pipe will clear the jacking point if not then I will make sure it does!

At first I was tempted to replace both, but they are £200 each so am going to just do the one as they look fine and it is deffo the friction that has caused the split and the leak as my pipe is up against the jacking point. I guess they always get warm so should not corrode really?!

Thanks for the advice on the thermostat, I spoke to my OPC and he advised the same (i.e if its running normal temp then leave it) and my car never over heats...

If your car is still in bits, could you take a pic of the pipes from the other side, so I can see the clearance of the outer pipe at the jacking point....

Thanks,
Lig.

Hi Lig,

I've just sent you a PM.

ATB :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back