Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is there a 'best way' to remove masonary dust?

I'm working away for a few weeks and last night learnt from my son my beloved Porsche is covered in dust. The Mrs has had a couple of power points fitted in the garage which entailed hammer drilling etc.
I know masonary dust is mega abrasive so is there an effective way of lifting it without scratching the paintwork? Ta, Paul.

And yes, I'll be getting an indoor cover as soon as I get home.... kin wimin.

I'd get off what I can with the hoover (but don't let the nozzle touch the car) and then try rinsing the rest off with cold water.

......or if you have an air-line, blow it off.

alex yates said:
I'd get off what I can with the hoover (but don't let the nozzle touch the car) and then try rinsing the rest off with cold water.

......or if you have an air-line, blow it off.

Thanks, I don't think its too thick so I'll go for the cold water method. And the Mrs. can be thoroughly squirted at the same time as punishment!

You MUST wash it off with a detergent.

This will lift the dust particles and allow them to "surf" off.

Either manually pre-spray with detergent, or better, treat the car with a low pressure foaming lance (ie soap delivery via jet wash)

Use "naked" hose pipe to rinse.

DO NOT JET WASH AT NORMAL (HIGH) POWER

A time-lapse oil painting of the night-sky at the pole:

swirl-marks.jpg

Agree with GT4, lift as much off as you can without touching it. Snow foam would be ideal, then maybe maybe rinse and repeat, then see where you are before washing as normal.

GT4 said:
A time-lapse oil painting of the night-sky at the pole:

swirl-marks.jpg

Quite. That's what I'm trying to avoid. And thanks for all tips fella's. And err, like the idea of snow foam but where do get that? Cheers, Paul.

Halfords do "Demon Foam" one of the products has a snow foam gun you can stick on a regular hosepipe, which would be handy if you don't already have a lance. Other than that, suppliers of detailing products like http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk have a much wider choice, lances etc too.

I would get yourself some Optimum No Rinse to lift it off the surface myself.

Whatever method you choose, when you have finished can I suggest you get a liberal handful of masonry rubble and sprinkle it in your wife's lingerie drawer paying particular attention to the gusset of her best pair of bills?

Would it not rinse off with electricians nose-blood, about 4 pints should do the job :judge:

kurlykris said:
Would it not rinse off with electricians nose-blood, about 4 pints should do the job :judge:

+1 he would have known exactly what he was doing .

kp964 said:

I was a sparky in a former life, I would never have dreamt of getting brick dust on any car, let alone a Porsche or similar expensive car :nooo:

kurlykris said:
kp964 said:

I was a sparky in a former life, I would never have dreamt of getting brick dust on any car, let alone a Porsche or similar expensive car :nooo:

I also worked in the building trade for many years .. "If" he was a experienced sparky there is not a shadow of doubt that he would have know what he was doing and that he should have covered or removed the car first.

wasz said:
I'd take it for a fast drive...and then wash as normal. Its a car not an oil painting.

Such fine words :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back