Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oh dear - Driver side exterior door handle stopped working

CarreraMonkey

:roll:

The 1st issue to happen with Helens convertible 996 - the exterior door handle has stopped working.
The interior handle works fine but the exterior one isn't having it. When you lift it up, the window drops but the latch doesn't operate.

Any ideas on what to do folks?

I've had this a few years ago. Manual lock didn't work either on mine. But the passenger door opened.

There's a reset sequence which I found online. Can't remember off the top of my head unfortunatley. Doesn't help I know.

:frustrated:

You have to put the key in the ignition and press the lock button a number of times..............something along those lines.

was it insert the key in the ignition and set to stage 1 and press the lock button twice?

If so, it didn't work. :(

Hi mate,

I assume you mean if the door is unlocked you can't open the door externally.

If this is the case same happened on my Turbo, you need to pull the door card off and remove the lock(be careful you don't blow a fuse here happened to me and alarm went haywire) but it's simply the screw attached to the external door handle has come free from the clip on the door lock. I refitted it and it popped out again shortly so ordered the little plastic clip from Porsche and replaced it. Sorted. Really simple job mate.

Just make sure you have the correct tool for removing the door lock, it's not a torx but it's a spline key.

Hope this helps.

Oz

911oz said:
Hi mate,

I assume you mean if the door is unlocked you can't open the door externally.

If this is the case same happened on my Turbo, you need to pull the door card off and remove the lock(be careful you don't blow a fuse here happened to me and alarm went haywire) but it's simply the screw attached to the external door handle has come free from the clip on the door lock. I refitted it and it popped out again shortly so ordered the little plastic clip from Porsche and replaced it. Sorted. Really simple job mate.

Just make sure you have the correct tool for removing the door lock, it's not a torx but it's a spline key.

Hope this helps.

Oz

Oz - that's perfect! Thanks for the advice. :thumb:

911oz wrote
so ordered the little plastic clip from Porsche and replaced it

I think the same thing has happened to me this afternoon.
Same symptom, window drops but cannot open door with external handle.

I'm thinking to get a new piece before I dismantle the door.
Was it the part no 12 in the diagram which had come apart from 9?

Thanks

Parts 9 and 12 can come disconnected .. seen it many times , you just push back together and slide the cover back over.

Or if its had work there done recently then thay have forgotten to reconnect it .. the joys of haveing a fob to unlock .. its great untill the battery dies sigh .

Demort said:
Parts 9 and 12 can come disconnected .. seen it many times , you just push back together and slide the cover back over.

Or if its had work there done recently then thay have forgotten to reconnect it .. the joys of haveing a fob to unlock .. its great untill the battery dies sigh .

Thanks Demort.
I'll push them back together then and see if it holds.

Cheers,

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back