Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

asbestos warning sticker under 3.2 bonnet

Palladium

I have seen this on a few cars now, what is it referring to?

thanks

I would think it relates to the old type of clutch and brake pad materials, those used to contain asbestos, obviously not for the last 20 years or so, that`s why now they wear out brake disks and flywheels as the materials used are abrasive :thumb:

kurlykris said:
I would think it relates to the old type of clutch and brake pad materials, those used to contain asbestos, obviously not for the last 20 years or so, that`s why now they wear out brake disks and flywheels as the materials used are abrasive :thumb:

but its stuck under the bonnet lid in the same position in all the ones I have seen, yet its no where near any brakes, and has no reference on the sticker that is specific to anything. its got a big letter a, then a red bit at the bottom of the sticker.

Some of the gaskets may have contained asbestos, known as Compressed Asbestos Fibre (CAF gaskets).

Asbestos was used almost everywhere 25 years ago, it was the "wonder material" of the future............................until they found out it kills people :nooo:

kurlykris said:
Asbestos was used almost everywhere 25 years ago, it was the "wonder material" of the future............................until they found out it kills people :nooo:

yes I know, but my question is what was this sticker referring to in that area of the car?

It wouldn`t be anything specific, in that era everything that cold possibly made out of asbestos or include asbestos was, including drive belts, sound insulation, heat insulation, gaskets, brake pads, clutches..........the list goes on. There were instructions on all clutch, brake pads/shoes, etc packaging to warn you not to breathe in any dust whilst working on the car.

I get you, just a good place to put a sticker as a warning.

cheers.

kurlykris said:

Unfortunately it's still being produced and used in many 3rd world countries.
Disgusting.
My mum died of mesothelioma so it's a bit personal for me. :-(

Russia, parts of Eastern Europe, China, South America etc all still export Asbestos to this day :nooo:

The supply of Chrysotile (white asbestos) commonly found in car brakes and clutches etc was only banned in the UK in 1999. It was Amosite / Grunerite (Brown) and Crocidolite (Blue) that were banned back in '85. The health concerns were known for decades. :wack:

Chris

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back