Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Auto 944, opinions wanted?

igaffz

Ok hear me out befor you guys shoot it down in flames!

My mate has a 2.5 lux, c reg, automatic. He's had it for about 6 years and has put a load of money into it. It's had a full respray about 5 years ago, a replacement Porsche script interior as the original pinstripe one was in a very poor state when he bought it. He's fitted a replacement dash fitted as the old one was very cracked. Belt and water pump was replaced a couple of years ago and the cars hardly been used since. It also has a nice set of boxter wheels fitted with Pirrelli P zero tires in mint condition.

Bad bits, rear calliper is sticking (repair kit ready to fit).
Speedo has stopped working. (A couple of spare clock sets with car).

So, a very solid car with no rust whatsoever and an interior in excellent condition. Engine has no faults that I know of and belts and water pump have been done.
I'm thinking the condition of the car is so good it would make the 3 speed auto box bearable, I know it will be slow and more of a cruiser but to be fair the manuals arnt very fast either! I know I've had two in the past.

I've been offered the car for 2k, I might be able to get a couple of hundred off that but I'm not sure. I think I could hold onto this for 12 months and make a nice little profit, what do you guys think?

Ian

My opinion is that 2k is its money and I can't see it being worth a great deal more anytime soon..that doesn't make it a bad car though so if it's checks out OK buy it and use it.

Rust free makes the value on it's own for me. Without a load of bodywork and only minor mechanicals it seems to be not the sort of car I expected you to get.

The profit margin is likely to be small so not sure if the business case is what you are looking for. Nice car but maybe just not good timing?

At the same time the risk is also low, down to you Ian, caveat emptor and all that.

Enjoy the chase!

Cheers, Keith.

Shame ... Its a looker with those wheels and nice colour Ian but will be a pizz poor drive i would think , i would say buy and sell it or dont bother :dont know: , hope alls well :thumb:

Going over prices quite a lot recently, I can see it's potential but an auto won't command a decent price and there is always something to do on a 30+ year old car, so it will still stand you at £2K+ if you got a couple of hundred knocked off, leaving no real profit.

Being an auto with 160bhp (if it's still packing that much) won't be that much fun in reality.

If you can turn it over without spending on it and try the market at £2.5K, there might be something in it for you?

Mmmm, it might not be worth the hassle? Tempted because it looks lovely when polished and no rot at all but it would just be a cruising around car with the 3 speed? I have to say it looks mint on the wheels, normally they look poor with modern wheels but they really look good.
I suppose it depends how the prices go next year for the anniversary?

Saw a 944 on ebay a while back that was an auto. Looked lovely but I think that put people off. If I got it for a song I'd possibly look at changing the gearbox over to a manual one but not sure it would be worth the hassle.

A friend of mine has a 944 auto. He's a very handy driver and makes the car go VERY well over the 'Dales roads. Ok, he has to work the car pretty hard, but the rewards are there if you're prepared to look for them.

Yes I love the 944, still looks great and I still toy with the idea of getting one (or a 924). If I knew someone who had one and I knew it was a good one AND the price was right I take it.

Easy Peasy - doesn't matter how it drives, looks or what condition it's in.

As it's an Auto it uses a rubber drive dampener from the torque tube to the gearbox - it will be perished and knackered by now. Apparently, replacements are NLA from Porsche but the price for one is listed as:

94411606502 DAMPER £998.04

Plus the Vat :eek:

You could convert it to a manual, the gearbox will be cheap but a clutch isn't.

Unless there's a receipt for a new dampener in the last 5 years then smile and back away!

If you can convert it to a manual "yourself " which i know you could , then i would go for it , you will probably even get your money back when you sell it to me :thumb:

Eldavo said:
Easy Peasy - doesn't matter how it drives, looks or what condition it's in.

As it's an Auto it uses a rubber drive dampener from the torque tube to the gearbox - it will be perished and knackered by now. Apparently, replacements are NLA from Porsche but the price for one is listed as:

94411606502 DAMPER £998.04

Plus the Vat :eek:

You could convert it to a manual, the gearbox will be cheap but a clutch isn't.

Unless there's a receipt for a new dampener in the last 5 years then smile and back away!

...but the work around is a used clutch from a manual. Cheap, and it works. I can't remember the exact details but my above mentioned friend had his rubber damper destroy itself so he rebuilt with a clutch and reports no problems whatsoever.

A year or two ago something did shear off and he bought a replacement torque tube off eBay, maybe it was the rubber? I'll ask when I see him.

Don't think I would bother to convert it to manual, there will defo be more to it than a simple swap?

Ian

Looks like the work-around that RichardKS mentioned is pretty viable, more so than a manual conversion:

http://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...309-auto-to-manual-conversion-parts-list.html

I'd take it for a proper blat around the twisties- when I had my 2.7NA it could be hustled around but needed a bit of gearbox stirring even with the extra torque. A 2.5 with a 3-speed auto might take the sparkle off th experience or it might prove ok once you've driven it.

My worry is that anyone else wanting a classic sports car come resale time will also be wanting a manual but that said - it only takes one person who needs a manual and you're laughing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back