Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Frozen windows

FZP

Zandvoort
Hi all,
As my car is living outside currently, it suffers from frostbite. I had to get my sunnies out of the car, but with everything frozen solid, the window were doing the soft close/open thing but weren't moving. End result was having to warm up the car to de-ice.
a)any chance of damage
b) how to avoid it in the future.

Thanks
FZP

A squirt of de-icer along the edges of the window before pulling the door handle will normally free it up if frozen. No prevention that I know of, except a cover of some sort.

Should be ok, mine was the same this morning.

In future, pour warm (warm, NOT HOT!!!) water over.

If you're not at home, improvise.
ththpissingcontest.gif

alex yates said:
Should be ok, mine was the same this morning.

In future, pour warm (warm, NOT HOT!!!) water over.

If you're not at home, improvise.
ththpissingcontest.gif

i'm not sure how my work colleagues would react to the forementioned improvising ?

It was actually my Manager that showed me that trick back in the days of drink driving.

I was advised by a forum member to put a small amount of silicone grease on the rubber where the glass touches at the top and that will stop it sticking, So far it has worked well. :thumb:

Good idea, dont however put it on the seal at the bottom as i did to eliminate squeaking noise on my 996 or you get very streaky windows!

seeforez said:
Good idea, dont however put it on the seal at the bottom as i did to eliminate squeaking noise on my 996 or you get very streaky windows!
:floor: :floor: funny you say that as I nearly did then realised what would happen :nooo: :thumbs:

Up in Finland we use a silicon applicator thingy on the window rubbers (it looks like that cheapo black shoe shine muck with the sponge at the end). At no point have my windows stuck to the car. Even at minus WTF.

Siba77 said:
I've been used Gummi Pflege for years on my motors - lasts ages and you only need a couple of treatments a year. http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1584628
Thanks for the link. I watched the video on the website and seems like a fab product. The problem I had that particular morning was that I could open the door without issue, but the window was frozen to the seal on the door. The result being that it was trying to softclose/open repeatedly without moving. If I apply this product, will it make my windows all streaky once the ice is gone?

I suffer with frozen windows as well, never tried any kind of grease but I squirt de-icer around the window and then run a credit card around the rubber seal to free the window - works every time :)

If I apply this product, will it make my windows all streaky once the ice is gone?[/quote]

I haven't noticed any streaks in my 911, or anything I've used it on before.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stoker
Back