Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aerosols for puncture repair and ... Kwik Fit

Tinker

Albert Park
Today, used Holts 'Tyreweld' Emergency Puncture Repair aerosol. 'As seen on TV'! And it worked very well.

The Holt aerosol says, "Tyre repairers may add a small surcharge, due to the additional time to repair the tyre, after using Tyreweld".

However, then took the car to Kwik Fit, who ... refused to repair the tyre, because an aerosol had been used.

Tinker said:
took the car to Kwik Fit, who ... refused to repair the tyre, because an aerosol had been used.

:hand: Standard reply chum to get you to buy new tyre. They punted that guff out to me in 1984 when I had an XR3. And it's complete bollox as the correct procedure is to wash it out from inside before repairing the hole.

Mind you the stuff made back then might have damaged the ozone layer however it mattered not as when I drove off with a new tyre the 'fitters' had forgotten to tighten the bolts and within 150yds the F/N/S wheel left the car after crumpling the wing shaving off half the disc on the tarmac as I saw my wheel in the rear view mirror bounce about before landing on the bonnet of a new BMW :thumb:

Oh the face of the manager when I went back in to report the carnage - priceless :thumb:

Take it to an independent and they will sort it.

:floor:

Like many 911 drivers, I suspect, I don't fancy taking off a wheel by the side of a road in the dark & the rain, bagging it, manhandling it onto the back seat, inflating the spare wheel ... and so on.

The use of an aerosol, which, I believe is now an option on some Fords, is very attractive.

If, however, this mean that major national tyre repair chains won't touch the tyre, then plainly it's not an option ... or someone's being less than honest somewhere.

I want to find out where and correct the problem.

Firstly let me just say that I've carried a can of Holts for years in lieu of a spare tyre and have had to call it into duty on about 3-4 occasions. It works brilliantly. On one occasion, the tyre held pressure perfectly for months and I actually forgot to get it repaired. Bad I know, but it really works that well.

If you come up against a tyre fitter who won't touch a puncture repair due to Holts being used, just find another fitter and get to know them. These guys are seeing this stuff more and more as some car manufacturers now supply a can of Holts (or similar) standard from the factory, rather than a spare.

We have used Tyre Weld rallying it's a God send at 4 in the morning :thumb:

How does it compare to the stuff you get given under the bonnet of a 997? Is that also ok to wash out? I've seen mixed reports.

Spare wheel? I think someone stole mine and replaced it with some glue and a compressor.

Would be interesting to hear any experiences of using the Porsche supplied tyre gunk and the subsequent repair.

I suspect the answer from Porsche will be that NO tyre should ever be repaired on a Porsche and the 'glue', whilst not particularly interesting to sniff, will be regarded as an emergency get you home device.

Kwik-Fit are also very liberal with identifying where the wall is on a tyre. I've had them tell me the hole is 'too close to the edge' to effect a repair. I'm sure they include the whole tread area somehow overlapping from each wall :roll:

Great for AC top up as a machine does all the work :thumb: And yes they did go into the front trunk to try and connect the AC pipes up then working out the engine is in the back :what:

Hi Zingari a mate of mine owns his own tyre shop which he purchased from Hi Q tyres and I did see some stuff on repairs it's a no-no within 1 inch of the sidewall from his tyre fitters bible ,the biggest earner for the boys is VBA = Valve cost 10 pence cost us £3
Balance weights cost 10 pence cost us a £4
Alignment cost zip many case's get under undo nut wait 5 tighten
back up cost £14.99
+ battery disposal £3 cost to us he get a quid off the scrappy
and just for good measure he heat the workshop on our old engine
oil
do you ever get the felling that we may have been had :floor:

mzmini said:
Hi Zingari a mate of mine owns his own tyre shop which he purchased from Hi Q tyres and I did see some stuff on repairs it's a no-no within 1 inch of the sidewall from his tyre fitters bible

Indeed but a 1 x Kwik-Fit Inch = 6 x Imperial Inch :what:

Does your chum want a partner as I could add value there :grin:

I was going to have a slice myself the phrase printing money comes to mind ,my brother owns a small garage pumps workshops and paint shop and I was going rallying to France and said could he get a few H4 headlight bulbs and turned round and thrust half a dozen in my hands and said that should do you I replied that don't be daft they cost £8 each in Halfords he showed me an invoice ,cost under 50p each :eek:
cheers
MZ

That's bad luck, but to be fair to the tyre place, I'd not be happy to do this job. The gunk goes everywhere, its got to be cleaned out thoroughly to ensure no contamination for the actual repair, thats if its possible to find the hole in the first place because its been sealed it won't bubble like conventional means identify.

A huge amount of labour and inefficiency and then the liability of it doesn't work...tough call.

The profit on a new tyre is still small but it would be efficient and quicker in a busy tyre shop to do that than undertake a repair.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back