Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

is 115k high-mileage for a 996 GT3 ?

tim993

Zandvoort
Chatting to a friend of a friend over dinner last night, i asked him if he still had his old GT3 - which he does. i think he's had the car from new or nearly new and as it spent a few years as his only transport this is reflected in the mileage. He can't remember the year of the car except it is an early one - so probably Mk1. He plans to keep it 'forever' - which i think is just great. I'm sure that a GT3 will go on forever as well as these must be some of the most robust cars Porsche have made in recent times, if I'm not mistaken? Anyhow, its nice meeting Porsche fans who are off the beaten track and not on any forums or in any clubs and just love their cars :thumbs:

All the best

tim

It's great to hear of such a wonderful car being so well used. :thumb:

To answer your topic question ....... Yes, In this country 115k is high, not just for a GT3 but for any 996.

There are a few Carreras and Turbos on this forum with that mileage or more but the average is far less and cars with 100k+ are quite rare.

This thread is a little out of date but the conclusion is still valid.

=> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=86...rder=asc&highlight=996+average+milage+mileage

My understanding is (and am open to correction), that if a GT3 engine is used regularly in the way it's meant to be used, then 115K would be a very high mileage for an engine that hasn't had a significant amount of work done to it. These engines seemingly need a complete overhaul (as recommended by Porsche apparently) after only about 40K! But then there are plenty GT3's out there that aren't really pushed that hard very often. They're more occasional 'road warriors' really and these can probably match the mileage capability of the Carrera's. Very much depends on the amount and degree of track use.

I'll ask him if its been tracked or rebuilt. But interesting to hear this is unusual mileage!

Niall996 said:
My understanding is (and am open to correction), that if a GT3 engine is used regularly in the way it's meant to be used, then 115K would be a very high mileage for an engine that hasn't had a significant amount of work done to it. These engines seemingly need a complete overhaul (as recommended by Porsche apparently) after only about 40K! But then there are plenty GT3's out there that aren't really pushed that hard very often. They're more occasional 'road warriors' really and these can probably match the mileage capability of the Carrera's. Very much depends on the amount and degree of track use.

Consider yourself corrected :hand:

I don't know where you got the idea that Porsche recommend a "complete overhaul" at 40K miles but afaik, it's complete fiction.

My GT3 got a complete rebuild several years ago at 85K miles, about 25K of which were track miles. There was nothing wrong with it but I wanted to prevent a catastrophic failure before it happened. The top end (cam buckets, valves, springs, guides & seats) needed replacing but we could have put everything else back in & I'm sure it would still be running well now at 130K miles (40K+ on a track). The reality is that the bottom end & pistons/rings/cylinders exhibit negligible wear as long as you change oil & filter very frequently (about 5 times a year in my case). I've had to replace 1 bearing in the gearbox in 130K miles. Again, the gearbox oil gets changed at least once a year, usually twice. The car is basically very robust indeed and with good maintenance will be extremely long-lived.

911Virgin sold a 996.2 with 180K miles on it a couple of years back. That car was a pure road car & still had a perfectly good original set of PCCB brakes on it.

NXI20 said:
911Virgin sold a 996.2 with 180K miles on it a couple of years back. That car was a pure road car & still had a perfectly good original set of PCCB brakes on it.

I remember that car and the 'debate' on PH over it. I think a fellow PHer bought it :dont know: I would had I wanted one. Be interesting to know where it is now :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartynT
Back