Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT-what?

Roro

So basically, while I've been distracted this year with my house purchase & extension, my car has quietly increased in value by.... "X" amount. So my Insurance is now a little higher but my trackday excess is a lot higher, which is an issue for when I eventually manage to get back out on track...

Im hoping to get on track again in 2016, but it seems the scene has changed somewhat during 2015 while I was away :?:

After buying my car 4 years ago I was now expecting to be throwing a £40k car around the track but seems the depreciation has been "negative" and gone the other way :floor:

Is anyone still using their GT3 / RS or should I be looking at getting an old M3 or something? I reckon a suped up old Golf 4motion could be a lot of fun personally :grin:

Need you ask Roro? :floor:

Of course I'm still using the GT3 on track. Insure with Mannings & do as many UK days as you like all included. If Spa or the 'ring comes up & you want to insure it'll be 250/day. Personally, I didn't insure on foreign trips this year & drove all 3 of my GT cars without any real worries as I'm familiar enough with Spa & the 'ring to keep it on the black stuff, even when doing a 360 spin coming out of a suddenly wet Bergwerk in the GT2 :eek:

Forget the Golf, it's too low-powered & heavy. Nige's stripped-out MK2 Golf with a tweaked TT engine is putting out 300bhp+and is seriously quick but you wouldn't want to drive it any distance on the road even if it was road-legal, which it isn't.

E46 M3 is the way to go if you want to have a dedicated track car that it is possible to drive to the track. Consult Senoj for details as that's what he's campaigning currently.

Roro said:
So basically, while I've been distracted this year with my house purchase & extension, my car has quietly increased in value by.... "X" amount. So my Insurance is now a little higher but my trackday excess is a lot higher, which is an issue for when I eventually manage to get back out on track...

Im hoping to get on track again in 2016, but it seems the scene has changed somewhat during 2015 while I was away :?:

After buying my car 4 years ago I was now expecting to be throwing a £40k car around the track but seems the depreciation has been "negative" and gone the other way :floor:

Is anyone still using their GT3 / RS or should I be looking at getting an old M3 or something? I reckon a suped up old Golf 4motion could be a lot of fun personally :grin:

Hang your head in shame
:redcard: :nooo: :nooo:

Souped up golf four motion.... :eek: :floor:

Roro

Why not use the car you have, it's made for the job. There really is very little out there that can do what a GT3 can. The noise the performance, the way you can change the balance within a corner is just superb. It does road and track in equal lustre. People how buy these cars and don't experience a GT3 going up an Alpine pass with the noise bouncing back at you from the cliff face or taken them to the max on track are missing out on what these cars are about. You never bought it as an investment the excess is probably near as damit the same as when you first bought it. Use it while you still can, life can be to short, enjoy the car that what they are about.

Jon

^^^^

What Jon said 100%

The excess is only relevant when you stack it & you're not going to do that.

NXI20 said:
^^^^

What Jon said 100%

The excess is only relevant when you stack it & you're not going to do that.

Well, we know thats not strictly accurate now don't we :floor: anyway, the excess is your risk, not the whole car, so you are driving a 7.5 k car from that respect.

Senoj said:
Well, we know thats not strictly accurate now don't we :floor: anyway, the excess is your risk, not the whole car, so you are driving a 7.5 k car from that respect.

That was me trying to subtly suggest that Roro isn't currently troubling the edge of the GT3 performance envelope. :wack:

And using the power of positive thought of course :grin:

NXI20 said:
Senoj said:

That was me trying to subtly suggest that Roro isn't currently troubling the edge of the GT3 performance envelope. :wack:

Thats were a cheap car can make you have bit more fun, less stress! :Dance-Tap:

Senoj said:
NXI20 said:
Senoj said:

Thats were a cheap car can make you have bit more fun, less stress! :Dance-Tap:

I think you've all mentioned the key arguments and options, but this is the main one for me. For a dedicated track car to work for me it's got to be dirt cheap. Hence Golf 4Motion, old TT and old M3 being options. First thing would be completely strip the interior, buckets (etc, usual stuff). But then it's not a 911 which is what I want to be in on track.... It's not either or though, I suppose what's likely to happen is dedicated track car for learning new tacks and using the GT3 for tracks I know a bit better :thumb:

Cunno said:
Roro

Why not use the car you have, it's made for the job. There really is very little out there that can do what a GT3 can. The noise the performance, the way you can change the balance within a corner is just superb. It does road and track in equal lustre. People how buy these cars and don't experience a GT3 going up an Alpine pass with the noise bouncing back at you from the cliff face or taken them to the max on track are missing out on what these cars are about. You never bought it as an investment the excess is probably near as damit the same as when you first bought it. Use it while you still can, life can be to short, enjoy the car that what they are about.

Jon

Great post. Inspiring, makes me want to get out and drive it :thumb:

Come along on next years Euro hoon.

You'll see what the cars are all about.

You would never be happy doing a trackday in an old Golf, knowing you've a GT3 at home under a cotton wool cover.

The reason they fetch good money because they are fantastic. You've got one, so drive it.

I wish I had one (or actually, I wish I had Nicks selection)

:mrgreen:

Cunno said:
Roro

Jon

Excellent post by a passionate Porsche nut. If this doesn't give you the answer you are looking for Roro, then you need to sell your GT3!! To me :mrgreen:

Oh, wait a minute, my legs don't work, damn...... And I can't afford it, damn..... And they are going up in value so I may not take it on the track, damn..... :grin:

GT3s are meant for this...

Snetterton, one week after collection[/img]

Attachments

• sam_4921reduced_165.jpg
    sam_4921reduced_165.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 9,877

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211