Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

is this the end of my alternator bearing?

BenC

Hockenheim
it sounds like either an excited squirrel is living in the engine or a chav's car whistling like a fake turbo waste gate thingy or I thought it might be the alternator bearing?!

just after i noticed the noise for the first time I took the car for a drive thinking it might just need to warm up and then I noticed that the 'belts warning light' flickered on in one of the dials. so I pulled over and opened the engine lid expecting to see a snapped belt, but all looked ok. turned the ignition off, then on again and the warning light didn't return.

what do the learned ladies and gents on here diagnose this as?
if it is the bearing what's the deal with getting it replaced?

thanks in advance

The belt sensor can get noisy sometimes. Either replace or lubricate. P-car.com explains how to lube it off the car.

that would be a nice fix, will have a look, thanks

I've got another belt sensor but off a 964 engine - any chance they are the same......?

does the p-car.com website still exist? hope so as it's full of useful info, but I can't seem to load any links to it...

Sounds similar to what happened to mine before it failed ......... causing quite a costly repair ......... that happened a few years back whilst I was touring abroad.

BenC said:
does the p-car.com website still exist? hope so as it's full of useful info, but I can't seem to load any links to it...

Yep OK for me, I just clicked on the link and all was well. As you say a very useful site :thumb:

ATB :)

madalaa said:
Sounds similar to what happened to mine before it failed ......... causing quite a costly repair ......... that happened a few years back whilst I was touring abroad.

We remember it well and lived it with you :what: When I had what I thought was the start of the same problem two days before I was heading to Spa I had to cancel because I couldn't get a replacement bearing in time :pc:

Yes I have to thank you all for the help I received in finding a Porsche garage that was able to do the work ........ but I did enjoy my enforced four day stay in Bolzano and got to see the ice man (Otzi) into the bargain.

I have just put my alternator back in my car after refreshing the pulleys, belts, fan housing and engine fan.

The front bearing on the alternator is generally the one to go.

You can check the belt sensor bearing without taking it off. Cut both ends off of a Q tip, down to about three inches, push it through the centre of the bearing on the belt sensor while holding it back. When released the Q tip will rest against the fan housing holding the sensor bearing and wheel off the belt. Cross fingers, start the car and see if the noise has gone.

I didn't end up replacing the alternator bearing - I bought the lube stuff ready to soak the guide bearing, but haven't used it yet.

the car had been parked outside, on a sloped drive, in fairly rubbish weather for a few weeks as we were moving house.
managed to clear the garage enough to get the car in every night and started it back into daily use and with regular running the noise has gone, yet to return and the warning light hasn't come on since.

so thanks for the advice, much appreciated as always - and I have the knowledge good to go if it happens again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back