Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

best app to capture a DVD to play on an iPad

tim993

Hi Guys
Anyone have any recommendations for a decent app that will allow me to save a DVD into a file format that my iPad can play - say via iTunes? i don't mind paying for one that actually works.

Year ago I used to use DAVDFab & CSS RegionFree, which did a decent job of taking a DVD and removing the rubbish and leaving you with a file that could be played on any of your devices. That was back in 2003 and on a PC. since then (unfortunately) I now have an iMac...

Thanks in advance

tim

isysman said:
Unfortunately? Macs are superior!

Handbrake is the app you want. And it's free.

https://handbrake.fr/

I was pestered by my lads to buy a Mac as they had MacBooks at the time and they promised to provide tech support...

within two years they had abandoned macs back to PCs and I have since been in the wilderness with the most convoluted unintuitive bit of tech kit ever! not a happy man, but too stingy to fork out to switch back. everything on the Mac is harder or hidden and requires googling some video posted by a spotty american boy to show you how to do it...GRRRR

Anyhow, thanks for the recommendation :thumbs: :thumbs:

I've never heard anyone say a Mac was unintuitive! I think people get used to the upside down ways of the PC and then expect the Mac to be as crazy and don't think logically.

IT is part of my job and I'm a qualified Microsoft Systems Engineer so I'm very familiar with both sides. My personal preference is Mac. Also in the yachting industry there are lots of Macs and other Apple stuff so it comes in very handy being conversant in them.

Handbrake might look complicated at first but most of the stuff you don't need to touch. On the right hand side there are presets, just select Apple TV 2 and it will set a good quality for ripping. The only other tip I would give is to make sure you set the subtitles for every dvd.

Go to subtitles tab in centre of screen. Select foreign audio and click 'forced only'. If you don't and there is any foreign talk in a film where they put English subtitles or when they tell you they are in a country onscreen, it won't be there.

thanks for the recommendation, isysman.

Handbrake downloaded and installed easily enough. However, to open most any DVD that i have it needs another bit of software 'libdvdcss'.

Try as i might, I cannot work out even how to download this piece of code nor even understand the tricks and turns necessary to get it to work on the latest version of OSX (El Capitan)...

Looks like i'm thwarted again :sad:

Anyhow, it got me thinking: years ago, i used something called DVDFab. I turns out this stills seems to exist and claims to work as a package on the current OSX version. However, it is decidedly NOT free - it requires a regular license fee payment - over US$100 every couple of years, or even more depending on the version, i guess... I think I paid maybe US$10-20 for the first PC version i used in 2003.

Now, i'm not averse to paying for a piece of software, but I do want to read some reviews first or even better hear some first hand experience, before parting with cash.

Any further thoughts?

thanks again :)

There used to be a piece of software called 'mactheripper' that could take off the protection software prior to ripping a DVD. Not sure if it is still available now though :?

Paul

Wav said:
There used to be a piece of software called 'mactheripper' that could take off the protection software prior to ripping a DVD. Not sure if it is still available now though :?

Paul

The last I heard it was discontinued and doesn't work on recent versions of OSX. I used to use it but haven't had a need to rip anything for quite a while now so not positive on the situation.

Surely there must be something more recent to handle this?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back