Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Great British Insurance Game

Alex

So my Insurance is coming up in February and I like to be ahead of the game and not get any surprises. Bit of a lifestyle change for me this year though and a few mods required on the old policy, so let the fun begin.

When modding my policy I always do one mod at a time and re-run the quote to see how it affects my price. I always start with the things to come off first, like points or claims that are over 5 years, then job changes, etc.

So my renewal (if it were in the next 30 days) same as last year is - £321.44

Then with the GF's 6 points off - £321.44

Then with the self employed job change from salesman in electronics to engineer in engineering - £318.38

Then if I decide I want to be a director of my firm - £319.74 (scratch that, I'll stick with rubbing rag engineer)

Then if I commute to and from a single place of work, instead of leaving the car at home on the drive where it's nice and safe - £305.67 :eek: WTF?

I'd love to know how they work their prices out???? I once put my best mate on as my civil partner and got it miles cheaper. I nearly wrote a letter of complaint to them for sexual orientation discrimination.

I also get cheaper quotes if the car lives on the drive instead of in the garage.

All prices quoted were with the same company.

Remember folks, always try a few different options when doing your Insurance to see what gets you the best deal (but don't tell porkies on your renewal).

Big thumbs up for Bridle from me. Great price (£640) for living on the drive in London and being driven daily. I'm a happy bunny :D

Mine would be in the region of £900 if I lived a mile or so up the road, due to a certain postcode (BB1) being one of the highest in the country for whiplash rear end shunt (and other) claims.

I'll not digress on the cause of all this, but just keep your distance if you see a car in front driving with a black ribbon tied to the bumper. :?:

Alex....are you using this forum to come out of the closet or merely insuring your car.....?? :grin:

ymca.gif

Busted!! :damn:

I'm always confused.com literally by their prices. :dont know:

For example despite the fact my wife never drives my car its cheaper to insure with her on it as 'married' are deemed lower risk :what:

That's why I have the GF on it. She never drives it but my policy works out cheaper.

I once put my Mum on, who only has a provisional license and hasn't passed her test and is nearer 80 than 60. It worked out about 12% cheaper than not having her on :what:

Its "apparently" all down to statistics, but it never fails to amaze me each year.

The other year when I came to renew my Insurance, adding my 90 year old Grandmother actually reduced the premium by a significant amount!

Putting down that I left the car on a public road dropped the premium again compared to leaving it in the garage or on the driveway. Saying that the car had no alarm or immobiliser also reduced the premium.

Interestingly, switching from saying I was "living with my girlfriend" to "being married" actually increased the premium. Maybe they assume married men are much more stressed and more likely to drive aggressively.

Even more interestingly, switching the car I was insuring from being a Nissan 350z Roadster to a new Lambo Gallardo halved the premium quoted!

This year adding the wife to my car Insurance actually increased it, and removing my old Granny reduced it. All other details remained the same.

alex yates said:
That's why I have the GF on it. She never drives it but my policy works out cheaper.

I once put my Mum on, who only has a provisional license and hasn't passed her test and is nearer 80 than 60. It worked out about 12% cheaper than not having her on :what:

Hmmmm....youve a girlfreind too you old fox!!! :? :grin: :grin:

It is all down to statistics, and what statistic set claim the most. That's why you can sometimes get high group Insurance cars with low premiums on young drivers, mainly because no young drivers have claimed on that model of car. eg. I had a BMW 850i when I was in my early 30s and only paid £280 fully comp.

Problem is, Insurance companies use the wrong (or not enough) statistics to make it a fair game.

Example: there used to be a very high amount of whiplash claims in Blackburn by young Muslim lads, but where does it ask for religion on your policy?
(I'm not suggesting Insurance companies should ask this)

Yet they ask for your sexual orientation, eg. civil partner or cohabiting. WTF has that got to do with your premium? :dont know:

Zeb said:
Hmmmm....youve a girlfreind too you old fox!!! :? :grin: :grin:

No, I'm just too daft (or not daft enough) to get married :thumb:

could resist it alex.... :thumb:

anyway, back to the thread, i'm with you on this one one including last year when my daughter (20 at the time) was renewing her Insurance and they asked her if she wanted me putting on the policy. My 6 points reduced it by £155!!

damned if I know why? :?:

alex yates said:
eg. I had a BMW 850i when I was in my early 30s and only paid £280 fully comp.

That's because they are usually driven by 'mature' drivers and your proffer of tartan carpet slippers and Greenwood's cardigan will have swung it :thumb:

I can never understand why it is cheaper to insure a car on the drive than in a secure garage :?

I'm thinking of putting father in law on one of my policies but at 75 with no attributable NCB will it reduce the policy I wonder :?:

:grin:

The only explanations I can think of for the drive/garage scenario are:

More claims are made for cars getting damaged in the garage than on the drive, eg. kids bicycle scratches, reversing into work benches, roof/shelves collapsing.

%wise of claimants with garaged cars is greater than %wise of claimants with un-garaged cars :dont know:

More cars get stolen out of garages because the culprit can't be seen in the garage when he's hot wiring it.

I still want to know why it's cheaper to be gay????

Did you try changing sexual orientation?.........

(on the quote system, not real life!)...... :hand:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back