Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant, bleed valve, and radiator fans

Steff

Evening,

Last week I was stuck in quite a bit of traffic in my '98 carrera 2. I noticed it getting a bit warm but nothing major, then the temp gauge warning light started flashing. I pulled over and switched of straight away. The coolant reservoir had plenty in it (only just had coolant replaced by Revolution since the engine had been out a week before) and there were no obvious leaks.

I started up again and carried on,in the next bit of traffic the light started flashing again, as I didnt have far to go and I knew it had coolant in it I just cruised steadily at 50-60 and the temp dropped right down to normal.

So, this weekend, I have checked the levels again and double checked for leaks, all seems good. I worked out how to show the digi temp on the climate control screen and took it for a good run and also sat stationary to get it up to temperature. The fans work when the air con comes on but I have a suspicion that the low speed fan isnt working.

So, I swapped the relays around and the fan still doesnt come in at low speed but is fine at high, so from a bit of googling it looks like it is the radiator fan/ballast that needs replacing on both sides.

Also, while having a look around I noticed that the reservoir bleed valve seems to be in the up position when the car is hot but is definitely closed when cold.

so based on the above:
-I thought the temp warning light only flashed to show low coolant, am I wrong?
-Do people agree, I need to replace the ballast/resistor on both sides and is this an easy DIY job?
-Is it normal for the bleed valve to be in the up position when hot?
-Any other suggestions?

Thanks for you help
Steff

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back