Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

why sound deaden your 993?

BenC

Hockenheim
I've read recently how several 993ers haver had their cars sound proofed / sound deadened.

what is the main aim of doing this, apart from the obvious - it is to mainly reduce road noise?
how well does it work and could someone give me an idea of cost please.

(I'm just starting to do ALOT more motorway miles and a slightly less ringing head after hours on the M4 would be preferable!

Oddly, I looked at the opposite (remove engine bay sound proofing).

Jackal has done this on his.

I just elected to add a MotorSound box, Hollamby bypass and 200 cell cats!

Now everyone can hear!

I've got the track car for brain boiling :)
So I don't mind making the daily driving 993 a slightly calmer place for long journeys

Picture%201_0_0.png

Wondered where I'd left those!

Engine noise is fine. It's the tyre noise that's a PITA :nooo:

The main aim of fitting the sound proofing is to reduce resonance (vibration) in the doors and back shelf from upgraded speakers and amp. I cannot remember the cost of the skins soundproofing as it was over two years ago when I had it done.

There was a posting on the telegraph's honest john where a person asked for quieter tyres (which would help in reducing tyre noise)

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/a...911-993-which-offer-the-quietest-performance-

The 993 will never be as quiet as a Lexus though!

I did a DIY soundproofing on my 993 and it reduces the tyre noise and actually makes the engine sound nicer imho, it takes away the mechanical harness if that makes any sense but you can still enjoy the flat six howl.

I did the rear panels, quarters, rear footwells and the doors

I liked the mod and quite enjoyed the DIY aspect if that is your thing

Ash

Having done it I can tell you the main benefit of sound deadening is to cut the resonant droning from the rear bulkhead. This kind of blends in an unpleasant undertone to the engine, especially on motorway cruising. The sound deanening material on the rear bulkhead cuts this hugely but does not remove the engine noise to anywhere near the extent. Imagine the difference of listening to a noise coming out of a metal box where the metal box is resonating, then when that drone is removed. It's very simple dynamics, really.

There are other benefits, too. Yes, it does cut road/tyre noise and if you do the doors properly it makes the door close "clunk" shut like a Bentley. That also impacts positively the sound quality that door speakers can deliver. They are designed to work in a way that you hear sound from the front of the speaker, not sound that eminates from the back of a speakers. By adequately proofing the door, you allow this to happen correctly and make the speaker suddenly work propoerly.

So, if you want a car that makes the most noise possible, there's no advantage. If you care about every gram of weight, it's a disadvantage. But if you want to cut out an annoying drone that is present in all these cars, I'd recommend it.

One final point - Porsche DID fit this type of material originally. If the new style stuff had been available then, they would certainly have used it. However, the "brown bread" stuff they did use has degraded with age and almost certainly fallen apart in your door and stopped working. By fitting fresh material you are just returning the car to what Porsche intended. It's a restoration, not a mod ;-)

thanks for the feedback - would you mind giving me an idea oc cost please?
feel free to do it via PM if you would prefer

many thanks
Ben

Sound deadening was £420 inclusive (parts, VAT, labour).

thanks for that - can you remind me where you had it done please

as I think it was in London, which isn't too far from me

thanks very much :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HannahMich
Back