Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Your top 993 mods or tweaks?

MattyR

Seeing as many of us like to keep things fairly standard; we all enjoy subtle tweaks and mods which non-993ers would probably not even notice!

You know things like:

1/ A cheeky chip - Chip Wizards etc
2/ Motorsport sound box (who can resist added induction noise, assuming you don't have the sound package as standard)
3/ Obligatory suspension upgrade - Koni FSDs, M030 et al
4/ 18" Twists surely have to be one of the nicest looking wheels ever! I'm a massive fan and if I could only do one thing it would be this.
5/ Big Ovals (I currently blaspheme with Dansk tips. Give me a break: they were 45 quid from fleabay!)

Matty

Good thread idea! Not that I thought about it at the time, but I'm really pleased I bought a car with some mods as I've really enjoyed tweaking it and I don't feel too precious about doing so.

My favourites are:

- Carnewal RSR back boxes. Best sounding car I've ever had.
- RS clutch and flywheel. Takes some learning but worth it for the way the engine spins up.
- Becker HU plus decent speakers behind OE look grilles.
- Hollow spokes.
- Retrofit MO30.
- HIDs.
- New steering wheel - basically anything other than the big 4 spoker - I have a retrimmed 996 3 spoker.

Next on the list is some Recaro Pole Positions with colour matched backs and tri colour leather.

My favourites are...

1) Mod least noticed by others (until they drive it): modern sound deadening
2) Mod most noticed by others: Hollow-spoke 18"
3) Best bang for buck mod: ChipWizzard (if just one mod, this one)
4) Most satisfying mod: steering wheel refurb
5) Most practical mod: Rear parking sensors
6) Least popular mod on 991UK: Non-Becker HU/amp/sub
7) Most fun mod: Le Mans stickers once a year

Clicky on my sig pic for my full list of mods, but given I don't drive at night, oddly, I like my Litronics!

I think it just because they are such a neat solution from ToreB.

In addition, some things like the rear spoiler just look so right (to my eyes), I forget they were a mod!

Yes nice thread.

I think the three best things I've done on my 993 since I bought it are:

1 - short shift kit and goldenrod. Massively improved the gear change experience by getting rid of that ridiculous long throw from second to third and making everything more precise and less sloppy.

http://fdmotorsports.net/rs-style-shift-rod-the-golden-rod/

2 - fitting the MPL unit when my own OE clutch slave cylinder failed. A much better clutch action following this mod in line with the claims they make for this unit.

http://www.mpl-tuningparts.de/english/porsche.html

3 - buying a Tune2Air Bluetooth plug-in for my Becker head unit.

http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/...ILrIBrfZPoQCNXCAz6IbQPTaQnJQbSIbVsaAq6g8P8HAQ

And just to add, two further mods made by the previous owner before I bought it which I was unsure about but have definitely grown to appreciate.........

1 - the car came with a 996 3-spoke steering wheel but I insisted on taking the original 4-spoke as well intending to change it back to the original. However the original still sits in a box in the shed as I have definitely decided I like the 3-spoke better.

2 - the previous owner also bought a Becker Indianapolis Pro head unit which I was expecting to change when I bought the car as I didn't appreciate the period brilliance of these things. But I now like it a lot even the stupid satnav which tries its best to do a good job within the confines of a ridiculous tiny slit of an LCD screen.

In no particular order:

MPL Slave (nicely engineered piece of kit).

MO33 plus Bilsteins.

RS shift plus goldenrod from Fister (this should have been standard issue!).

RS Steering wheel (so nice).

Becker Cascade.

Oh and changing colour to Riviera Blue!!!
:grin:

RSRs ....... short shifter and HIDS are my top three.

Although not an upgrade per se ........ the full refurb of my brake callipers was well worth the money spent.

Top mods for me would be:

HID's (best mod ever on a 993)
Chipwizards re-map.
front poly bushes.
996 3 spoke steering wheel.
exhaust by-pass and big ovals.
:bye:

mine came with stuff already done or fitted as standard
hollow spoke turbo twists -std
headlight upgrade- awesome
3 spoke steering wheel
big oval tips std
motorsound box std
front foglight mod with brake duct

Ive done
RSR style gutted backboxes- awesome mod
gearbox mount upgrade- excellent improvement in shift /box movement
front strut brace- nice effect on turn in

other than needing new suspension and rear tyres in spring thats pretty much my perfect car as of now.

colour coding rims :)

Re-enforced coat hooks you say?

Now there's something I didn't know I needed...

AndyS said:
Top 3 for me:

1. ToreB HID's

2. Three spoke 996 wheel

3. Cat bypass

There are others, like the re-enforced coat hooks, and the rear spoiler - but these are the ones that stand out

.......I see a trend forming :grin:

Can't say I'm a fan :nooo:

Attachments

• 1444919489_996side_112.jpg
    1444919489_996side_112.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 9,114
Ha! I see you have all missed the best 993 mod of all time . . . :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member